PDA

View Full Version : Need baseline setup for ford clip modified

MQueen
05-30-2012, 11:55 PM
I need a little help to get a baseline with this car I have never worked on a ford clip car. It appears to be a mid 70's thunderbird frame, possibly an early lightening, it is 112" wheel base, 4 bar both sides, 12" strait panhard to the left side of pinion has a 20"spring pull bar, rr spring on top of the housing, lr on a mount in front of the housing. What I need most are spring rates, pullbar angle, and rake on the panhard. I called lightening and they said they hadnt used a ford clip since the early 90's and didnt have any set up sheets. Anything would be helpfull. Thanks

bittight
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Could be a bandit chassis by B&B motorsports out of buffalo ky I know they built several ford clip cars might try calling Bryan at the shop (270) 325-2971

MQueen
05-31-2012, 03:44 PM
I spoke to Bryan today he says he did use ford clips in the past but didn't mark his chassis. So I still don’t know who built this thing. He was extremely nice to speak with and I would recommend him to everyone. He did give me a starting point on the front springs, but would still like any suggestions on panhard bar as I have never ran such a short left side mounted bar. The car looks like this short 12" bar is binding up the rear so much it won’t let the car work. Currently it is pinion level 3" up at frame with a 750 LF, 750 RF, 250 LR, 175 RR 53% rear 52 left 60# bite Left bars in top right bars in bottom no body roll and dont get on the bars at all. And appears not to have any side bite. I think I will just go to a j-bar that I’m familiar with but dont mind giving it a try. This is my nephews car he is just starting out so I am just waching it run (harder for me to tell what it needs) He says it is too pushy as he is spinning out :-)

racin6mod
05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
I agree go to a j-bar with 3 to 4 inches of rake and what.s the split between the upper and lower 4 link bars.

bluemod
05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
I know that moon chassis has used ford clips because a guy at our track runs one dont know if this is any help

junebug
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
I have a ford clip mod...basically same setup as u...4-4 rear..i have standard jbar tho...i would soften the the rf spring up...that'll get car over on rf more and put mpre steer in it...and also give it sidebite on entry go down to around 600 or less

MQueen
05-31-2012, 07:00 PM
9" apart at birdcage, LR 17" - RR 16" if that is what you ask for

MQueen
06-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Car looked way better by the end of the night, ended up with 750LF 650Rf added 125# bite at the track took out the trail and brought the pan hard split up to 6"