PDA

View Full Version : Owens and Anderson pick up wins on the way to the Silver Dollar Nationals

kearney
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Owens and Anderson pick up wins on the way to the Silver Dollar Nationals

Defending Lucas Oil Series Champion and current point leader Jimmy Owens of Newport, Tennessee widened his Lucas Oil point lead by winning two big Lucas Oil races in the last two weeks. First at Batesville Speedway in Arkansas he won the Bad Boy 98 picking up a check for $10,000 and the keys to a new Camaro. Then this past weekend, he made it two in a row in the Show Me 100 at the Lucas Oil Speedway adding another $30,000 to his bank account.

With his win at the Show Me and bad luck for Don O’Neal and Scott Bloomquist, the “Newport Nightmare” has opened up a 335 point lead over O’Neal (the defending Silver Dollar Nationals winner) and 375 points over Bloomquist. Steve Francis and Earl Pearson, Jr. round out the top five in Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model points. The series travels to the frightening fast 1/3 mile high banks of the Tazewell Speedway in Tennessee on Friday, June 1 and then ventures up the road to Florence, Kentucky for the Ralph Latham Memorial on Saturday, June 2.

John Anderson of Omaha the defending Midwest Late Model Racing Association (MLRA) Champion and current point leader extended his lead in the 2012 MLRA Championship Chase by winning the 11th Annual Alphabet Soup Race at I-80 Speedway on Sunday, May 27. By winning the Soup Race he is guaranteed a starting spot in the Second Annual Silver Dollar Nationals.

Following Anderson in the MLRA point chase are Will Vaught, Jesse Stovall, Terry Phillips and Chad Simpson. The MLRA also has a busy weekend with events on Friday, June 1 at the Humboldt Speedway in Humboldt, Kansas and then on Saturday, June 2 they visit the LA Raceway near La Monte, Missouri.

On Friday, June 29 the MLRA will return to the I-80 Speedway and be joined by the Corn Belt Clash (CBC) and Mid America Racing Series (MARS) for the Midwest Trifecta. The winner of that race will join Spring Meltdown winner Will Vaught and Anderson with automatic starting spots in the Silver Dollar Nationals.

The Second Annual Silver Dollar Nationals will be held July 19, 20 & 21, 2012 at the I-80 Speedway near Greenwood, Nebraska. Tickets to the Silver Dollar National are available by calling (402)-342-3453. Companies and large groups should call and ask about package prices and parties.