PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on zlink right rear

racer21
05-31-2012, 10:06 PM
guys im thinking about switching my rr from 4bar to zlink and was wondering what spring and shck to start with,also would it be better on the cage or on the lower trailing arm,
open to any and all suggestions,thanks in advance

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Why are you switching? If you have a reason for doing it, you probably have an idea about how to make it work?

Matt49
06-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Like MB said, why are you considering changing? What do you expect to gain or learn?

For what it's worth, when you ask about putting the shock/spring on the birdcage or on the lower trailing arm, those are two very different things. Putting the shock/spring on the trailing arm makes it a swing arm. That could have a completely different spring requirement than a z-link depending on what you are trying to do.

lovinlatemodels
06-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Maybe he just wants to try something new. I'd put it on the cage and start with a 250 spring with a straight 4 shock and work from there Good luck.

DJ16
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
This was not my post but I wanted to ask the same question. Thanks for answering his question. While on the subject any recommendations on bar angles for a dry slick track? The 4 link left , z link right seems to make lots of sense in theory. Why is it not more widely used? What's the compromise?

zeroracing
06-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Why does it make sense? Not saying it does not, or cannot work, just asking what your reasoning is for it making sense.

racer21
06-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Guys i was just thinking about trying something different,never was a 4bar rr fan seems like i was always having to wait on the rr to bite(that was the experience with the mod anyway
i switched it and it briught the car to life,may just be driving style idk) but i was just thinking about it,but it could be that im missing something

DJ16
06-02-2012, 02:33 PM
I guess I should have explained why I think it makes sense. The reason I like it is because with 4 link left and the z right you will gain bar angle on both sides when you corner and the chassis rolls. With the 4 link right you will lose bar/drive angle on the right. This may explain 21 why you felt better with the z on the right rear with your mod?? not sure and there are a lot of variables. I think driving style also plays a big factor like you said. Drivers that like to drive the car straight and have the car turn for them will probably like the z on the RR more than a guy that always jacks the car in sideways. Just what I have been told , haven't actually tried it out yet.

grt74
06-03-2012, 08:55 AM
z link or swing arm,it is a very effective tool for a rough,hooked up race track.now for springs on the birdcage start with 250 to 300,on swing arm do the math(for the motion ratio difference)i think you find that youll need some big springs,and bigger than you would think

zeroracing
06-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I did it on a modified for that reason. I ran drastically more rear bar angle than my mod originally came with. In the neighborhood of 18 degrees.

Mainly I was just posing the question. As I think others were, to make sure people were thinking it out with reasoning rather than just making wholesale car changes for the heck of it. Wholesale changes without reasons end up way off in left field.

I have ran z link rr and swing arm rr. If your track is rough then swing is the way to go. I put my rear bar links with a bar angle range similar to the upper four link bar only downhill to back. I also put them on the same radius and length as upper bar so all your doing is flipping it over, no new bars.

Many mod guys run it almost level, and take all rear steer along with thrust angle out of it. The rr just kinda glides along behind... Never attacking the race track, drivers like it because the car lays over, and the thing pushes bc the LR is the driving force, this feels like it is really hooked up though. So many drivers like the feel, especially in the mods.

I did not mean to ruffle feathers, just wanted to see the reason, I think it's not bad if you do the same links and bar angles as your four bar, of you do the level bars and remove thrust then your hurting yourself.

Matt49
06-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Not to highjack, but while we're talking about "different stuff" on the right rear... Has anybody tried the old spear rod on the right rear?
I've been wanting to try it on one particular track that we go to that is always rough. My goal being to calm the changes in rear steer down as I bounce through the craters in the race track. Especially on throttle.

DJ16
06-03-2012, 02:32 PM
What does that look like? Do you mean a wishbone?

zeroracing
06-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, they are basically the same thing, your thrust angle then becomes whatever angle you have it at. I have not ran one.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Not to highjack, but while we're talking about "different stuff" on the right rear... Has anybody tried the old spear rod on the right rear?
I've been wanting to try it on one particular track that we go to that is always rough. My goal being to calm the changes in rear steer down as I bounce through the craters in the race track. Especially on throttle.

I have quite a few laps with one on a Smackdown. I think it may give you what you are looking for, but beware that corner entry will be loosened because of the dynamic wheel rate is much more linear. It can be tough to stick the rr on entry if there is a lack of grip in the track.

DJ16
06-03-2012, 09:13 PM
What would happen if you used the wishbone/spear rod on the rr and put it towards the rear of the car with a little angle. When the car rolled and you get on the gas would it hook? Never seen one like this but might work. What do you guys think?

rick james
06-08-2012, 10:48 AM
ran the wishbone several times with wishbone in front, shock/spring behind. seemed to really tighten corner entry also ran alot on Z link i did nothing but reset byte but alot of others say to stiffen rr spring i really like the z link on rough tracks seems to make car more consistant