PDA

View Full Version : Need help quick

tyler383
06-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I Just bought my first mod, Came with everything but motor, Has Bert transmission, I have a motor(400 SBC) actual 408CI but does not have any components, I need to know what I can run on a BUDGET to get me started and get some seat time towards the end of the year, I need a water pump, fuel pump, power steering pump and I need everything from the flyheel to the tranny, It came with a Aluminum GM Bell housing, Im new to this so help me out. Thanks in advance.

dirttrackrocker
06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
The only thing between the flywheel and the tranny is a coupler, you can buy them from Speedway or other sources. I would get rid of the aluminum bell and get a steel one. If you're running gas, just get a good mechanical fuel pump, and get a power steering pump with the tank attached it's much simpler. A decent water pump and a set of reduction pulleys.

tyler383
06-01-2012, 09:29 AM
I have the coupler I think, what about the flywheel what does most people buy? I was told I need
an externally balaced flywheel, Ive read where some people are using 1-1 Pulleys.

jsf74
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Make sure you get the coupler for the Bert with the correct balance. Internal or external for your motor. Buy a nice set of alum pulleys according to the rpm you intend to run and a decent alum pump. And like posted already I wish I would have bought my ps pump with the tank attached and not external.

Egoracing
06-01-2012, 09:40 AM
You want the water pump in the 6000 RMP range. If you are turning over 7000 then you want a reduction set of pulleys, if you are running 5-6500 then a 1:1 will be better. Flywheel: Again if you are under 7000 just go to your local auto parts store and get a flexplate for an automatic trans. I never had an issue with an external tank PS pump, I liked the extra fluid that is used and allowed the tank to be away from the engine heat. A decent Edelbrock, Holley, Carter, etc.... fuel pump will work. Is the car wired? If not I can see if I can dig up a fool proof wiring diagram if you need it, shoot me a pm and I will start digging.

Egoracing
06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Make sure you get the coupler for the Bert with the correct balance. Internal or external for your motor.

I think that there are only 3 different groups of couplers, Old style Chevy, 3 inch and LS1. The 3 inch and LS1 are used for their applications as the bolt pattern on the crankshaft is different than the original cranks. The ballance is on the flexplate that is attached between the crank and the coupler.

jsf74
06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Im think the flywheel depends on what bellhousing you're gonna run. I run reduction pulleys from speedway to slow the water down a bit.

ask0329
06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I have a 168 tooth flywheel that i used on a 400ci engine for about 6 laps til i spun a berring. Its externaly balanced as with a 400 it has to be on the plate. I paid just over $40 plus shipping and handling for it brand new and its still essentially new. If you want it, $30 and its yours. My email is andrewkieffer@yahoocom. Email me and we can work out the details.

powerslide
06-01-2012, 01:23 PM
you need to find out if the motor is internally or external balanced before purchasing a flywheel. Hopefully the guy you bought it from knows.

usafracer
06-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Hopefully it has the harmonic balancer on it. If it does look for a weight on it. Weight = external balance and you will need a flywheel to match.

Racer111
06-01-2012, 08:56 PM
bert makes a flywheel coupler for the externel balance 400 has a built in weight on it

tyler383
06-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Motor comes with harmonic balancer..so I will need a externally balanced flex plate.. What about transmission fluid when you change it how much does a Bert use.And how bout power steering pump?? Thanks for all the info guys.

Egoracing
06-02-2012, 01:45 PM
bert makes a flywheel coupler for the externel balance 400 has a built in weight on it

That is if you are running a revers mount bellhousing and starter. If you are running a stock syle bellhousing and starter you do not need the weight on it as it is on the flywheel.

tyler383
06-02-2012, 04:30 PM
That is if you are running a revers mount bellhousing and starter. If you are running a stock syle bellhousing and starter you do not need the weight on it as it is on the flywheel.

That's what I was thinking.. Is the Bert reverse bell housing worth the money to run?? I'm assuming the advantage is added strength and a smaller fly wheel. What"s the best way to get everything I need for the front of the motor that's going to be runnin off the belt? Pulleys,Water pump ,power steering I don't have anything yet..

Egoracing
06-02-2012, 05:32 PM
That's what I was thinking.. Is the Bert reverse bell housing worth the money to run?? I'm assuming the advantage is added strength and a smaller fly wheel. What"s the best way to get everything I need for the front of the motor that's going to be runnin off the belt? Pulleys,Water pump ,power steering I don't have anything yet..

The reverse mount bell housing is a much lighter package. The forces that affect the acceleration of an object are weight X diameter squared. So a 5lb 6 inch diameter reverse mount flywheel will have a moment of acceleration of 180. 5X(6X6)=180. A 2LB 16 inch flexplate has a moment of acceleration of 2x(18X18)=648. This means is will take almost 4 times the energy to accelerate the 2lb flywheel to the same RPM as the 5lb unit.
Call Outlaw Race Parts and they can help you get everything that you need to get going.

tyler383
06-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Cars coming togather I have one question .. Where I am running the stock bellhousing the flex plate is exposed more than I like . What do people do to solve this issue? Looks like to me a lot of debris and mud could get packed in there. Can you buy the dust covers or is there something else you can do.