PDA

View Full Version : brakes that spark?

flynhalfbreed
06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
what are the brakes that throw the sparks? and what is the advantage? Is it just a real soft brake compound or a certain rotor??

Egoracing
06-01-2012, 05:27 PM
The Willwood pads that cause sparks are VERY agressive, you will wear out a set of rotors running them, the sparks are because the pads are so agressive that they act like a grinding disc. They will stop the car MUCH faster than a less agressive pad so the advantage would be in stopping power.

merc123
06-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Talked to a late model guy about these. He replaces all rotors every 3 races with them.

Egoracing
06-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Go 2 steps softer on compound and you can easily get a season out of a set of rotors and most would never know the difference.

Matt49
06-02-2012, 08:55 AM
The biggest advantage is that it gets people talking about your brakes and not paying attention to the other stuff you might be doing on your car that they CAN'T see :-)
There's an old saying that if a guy wins a bunch of races with a dog turd on his hood, it won't be long before everybody will have a dog turd on their hood.
Bloomquist and Owens have had sparking brakes now for a few season and all of the sudden every local Saturday night racer has to have them.
Brake control on slick tracks is just as important as throttle control. More aggressive brakes is like a higher HP engine. Unless you are a real good shoe (not saying anybody on here isn't or I am), you're going to make it harder on yourself using a more aggressive brake package.
Just my opinion.

Egoracing
06-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Matt, if you are not trail breaking you will not have good results with the pads they are using, they must be heated up AND they will lock up very easy.

steelhead
06-02-2012, 06:00 PM
http://brakingout.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/talon-d/ These brakes are not cheap at all, but there is alot of extra work to maintain your brakes. Also just speed cost money, well stopping that speed cost money too! They are a very made product and we have not had any problems with ours on a DLM steelhead. And yes they do spark but they do stop/slower quicker the car from our others that were on the car new. And this is a 2012 mastersbilts.

Hope that helps you out.

Steelhead

latemodel99
06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Anyone have a list of dealers that sell the Talon-DRs?

steelhead
06-02-2012, 11:00 PM
you can call them directly and they will advise you who is a close dealer or if nobody close they will help you.

Steelhead

Matt49
06-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Matt, if you are not trail breaking you will not have good results with the pads they are using, they must be heated up AND they will lock up very easy.

Agreed but one could argue that if you're not trail braking in the slick you won't have good results regardless of what brakes you are using :-)

zeroracing
06-03-2012, 02:38 PM
A few things.

1. The brakeman brag about jered landers, who said his brakes burnt up and faded in under 20 laps at Lucas for the show me...

2. I called wilwood and ask the, about brakes. For DLM they recommend the cheap 32 vane rotor, it has mass, so can take more heat and will last longer, the scalloped or drilled will brake in dirt late model use. They also said that they recommend no more than .006" runout, and no more than .060" wear. Then it is replacement time.

As far as compounds they recommend no more than a B, as the most aggressive pad to use, the A is too aggressive for dirt use and will lock up too often. I am going with a mix of compounds from what I have, B and E.