PDA

View Full Version : Pinion Seal change out

3dinter
06-02-2012, 06:04 AM
I guess my gm 7.5 pinion seal went out and was reading about how to change it. It seems there is a difference of opinion on how to do it.
Take it completely apart OR mark the nut and go the easy route ?
What's everyone think or what have you did in the past that worked.

SRXSRULE
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Ive changed hundreds of pinion seals on trucks/passenger vehicles and never had any issues with center punching the pinion and nut.

Racing gear sets should be set with a solid spacer kit and not a crush sleave but I know thats a pain on the GM 7.5.

You should not have any issues by just marking the pinion and nut, changing the seal and torquing the nut back down to your marks line up.

clean up the threads of the pinion and nut with brake clean and put some rtv on them when going back together. This keeps and gear lube from wicking out the threads. Eric

stockcar5
06-02-2012, 01:33 PM
i do the same as eric. i usually mark it with a paint pen. never an issue.

3dinter
06-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Gott er done this weekend but didint get a chance to try it out on the track, i marked the nut, yoke as recommended and went a step further i heard about, i put a little gasket sealer on the outer side of the seal and put some grease on the v shaped part of the seal and some red thread lock on the 4 yoke botls. wasnt a bad job kinda easy thanks.