PDA

View Full Version : scales

nebraskabowhunter
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Is there any way to use bath room scales to scale a b mod imca

johnny v
06-03-2012, 03:22 PM
In the real old days... they sold a lever arm that sat the bathroom scales out about 4 feet from the wheel..... you had a pivot point..... then 12" from that you set the tire... then 36"inches out you had the scale...... multilply the scale reading by three to get the wheel weight..... kinda had to describe with words.....I think that's close to what it was.... not sure about the math....

................ tire
l---------------l-------------------------------------------l
.................................................. .................... scale

you had one of these for each wheel.....and 4 bathroom scales....more or less a best guess type of estimate of wheel weights.... about like the wheel weight checker that goes up in the wheel and you pick it up....

cheaterleaddog
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM
the thread above is exactly right and they are very accurate. Place a 6 inch square piece of metal on the scales to spread out load and use four of the same exact scales

nebraskabowhunter
06-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Anyone have a drawing on this. Would like to make some to use on a b mod. Think i can make them cheaper then buying $1200 set of scales

johnny v
06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Man, that was 25 years ago..... no drawings but anyone could just sketch it out....... using simple lever math equations.........

the ones I had seen were simple angle iron/ flat iron / square tubing ( maybe 1" .125 wall)
Make all 4 dead even the same and you should be close.......

They were about a foot wide at the pivot point / had a bar going down to the ground (as long as the scale is tall) , stayed that wide with a plate for the tire to set on.... then tapered to a point where the short end sat on the scale......

Egoracing
06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
If you do use these repeat EVERYTHING and make sure the #'s stay the same. We had a high $$ set with roller bearings on ALL of the contact surfaces and plates that sat on a V point on the arm to make sure it was in the right spot. You could scale the car, roll it off the pads and back on and the weight would change over 200 lbs. The problem is the bathroom scales are JUNK. You could put a 50 lb weight on one and take it off and put it back several times and NEVER get the same results. There is a reason Dr offices use $1000+ scales and the ones a Wal Mart are $20.

Check with the scale companies because after a season they get ALOT of trade ins that they refurb and sell for MUCH less than a new set.

LM14
06-03-2012, 10:26 PM
You can get REBCO Exact Weight scales for $900 @ Speedway. Lighter weight mini sprint/mod lite scales good to 5000# total only run $600 or so. A good set of 4 bathroom scales, all the other crap you need to make the bathroom scales work and you're half way there. Hold out for real scales. I've seen a lot of sets of working, guaranteed good scales sell at racing auctions ofr 6 to 700 bucks.

JMO,
SPark

Sportmod Rookie
06-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I would just borrow someones and wait to buy a good set but......
http://www.thedirtforum.com/toolbox.htm

look at scale plans.

Dirtrunner35
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I think I still have my old scales like that, I'll have to look. They work ok if you can't buy the good ones, just times each scale by 4 to get the weight.