PDA

View Full Version : Fuel/Ignition Issue. Looking for some ideas.

HuckleberryB4
06-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Heres the situation guys. We switched from alcohol to gas this year (VP113). Last week was our first week out and the car would stumble horrible off the corner and get somewhat better going down the shoots. But it was still lacking alot of power. I was thinking that it was loading up so we sent the carb out to KB this week and had it gone thru and rebuilt. We figured it was fixed but had the same problem when we went out for hot laps last night. We bumped the timing up to 35 and changed the cap and rotor. Ran the heat and the car "seemed" to be fixed and had great power. The timing seemed to be a little much, so we backed it down to 32 for the feature. During the feature the car would run fine as long as I was on the high side where it was smooth. But if I ran the bottom where there was some moisture and it was choppy the car would stumble again from middle off then run fine again down the shoots. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Fuel Pressure seems to be fine, around 6 at idle and 9-10 on the gas. We're thinking that maybe it's a problem with the pick in the distributor or a coil since when we changed the cap and rotor it seemed to have fixed it. Thanks for any and all help.

AmickRacing
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't run gas, but that pressure sounds awfully high, maybe back it down a couple psi?
Also, double check the float level, could be a bit high and sloshing around causing it to come out the vent tube or something similar.

jared1624
06-05-2012, 12:57 AM
I had the exact same issue on a modified when i went from alky to vp113, I run a willys carb and called them and they tried selling me hundreds of dollars in all kinds of crap they thought ''might'' fix the problem, i put on a slanted spacer plate and I have never had that problem again. I would be 99.9% sure that would fix your problem. The one I got was a wilson, about 2" tall. It has been a couple years so i dont remember exactly all the measurements when i ordered it

Egoracing
06-05-2012, 06:52 AM
You want about 4psi at idle and a max of about 8 psi. It could be flooding the bowls when you are backing off going in. I would back the pressues down a little and verify the float levels. Front should be just below the hole and the rear can be a little over the bottom of the hole to compensate for acceleration acting on the fuel and moving away form the jets. What jets are in the carb? We had an issue like this come out of the clear blue once and found a reference in an old holley book that said to try dropping 1-2 jet sizes on the primary and it cleared it right up.

HuckleberryB4
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
We have 78s in the front and 79s in the rear.

sj valley dave
06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Our fuel pressure is about 7 lbs and stays constant..at idle or RPM...CV Products pump and regulator...IMO anything over 8 lbs and you can blow the needle off the seat..9-10 lbs is way too much pressure..no need ...