PDA

View Full Version : LR Spring Preload at Full Hike

mod321
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Will to much preload in the lr spring at full hike hurt traction? 4 bar both sides, 175 spring behind. Low bite, about 5.5 inches of hike @ the cage. Great traction, extremely happy with it. Question is thou, if we put a few turns in (just say 5 for example), when we jack it up on the frame, I have to push the lr down because the preload in the LR will actually hold it up before the chain stops the lr. Talking only maybe 1/4 to half an inch before full drop. There isn't a bind in the bars or rearend, just a lot of "back pressure" from the spring. Love to here from Ego or Envy or K.Shaw on this. Someone who's a real guru on this stuff. PM me if you'd like more info on how it's setup.

johnny v
06-04-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm not a guru, so I guess I don't get how any type of spring pre load is going to do anything but try and help push the rear end DOWN......

your quote" back pressure" from the spring...???????

We run a 09 shaw and we had to go all the way down to a 125# spring to keep it on the spring at full hike...... 44*......

charcoal01
06-04-2012, 07:44 AM
It's because the birdcage is trying to index into the spring but the amount of preload is over coming the axle's ability to drop down. The tire will create enough drive to over come it, I don't think I'd be too worried about it. I've got a 200 in the lr and it does the same thing.