PDA

View Full Version : car quits pulling

4bangerhotrod
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
put a schneider 296 cam in a 2300. its 296 dur an 242@ .050 with 485 lift, the rpm range is 3000-7000 rpm and running the springs that schneider recommended with the cam. the prob is the car pulls great up till about 6200rpm then the car just levels out an quits pulling. the heads in good shape a recently been gone through and running a 4412 so it should be good there, the cam is adv 6*. do you all thing if we brought the adv down to 2* it would pull higher or you think its just the springs are to weak cause its almost acts like its floating the valves but they dont have but prob 15 races on them, not sure what the seat an open pressures are on the springs i'll have to find out and post that.
thanks,
4bangerhotrod

Milford Motorsports
06-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I would definatly try retarding the cam before you change any thing else.I would not be afraid to go as much as 6* retard from zero,provided you turn the engine over by hand first to insure that the valves do not hit the pistons.Also check timing,and all ignition parts for problems.Have you cleaned the carb lately,a lack of proper fuel mix could also be a problem.

dannyracer6
06-04-2012, 10:15 PM
6 degrees advance is way too much. that is usually the max you can advance. You are getting all of your cam off the corner and unless you are running on a 1/5 or 1/4 size track, you do not have any thing left for the top end. You did not say what size track you were on. what your gearing was and if itis a solid or hyd cam, sounds like itis a hyd. Milford is right, you need to back it up some. Advance gives you more pop off the corners on a short track that is great. Retard gives you less pop and more rpm at the long end. That is why I asked what size track you are running. If it is 1/3 or more, you need less advance. Try 3 d, if that wont work try straignt up 0, then start going back the other way. I would do that before I started messing with springs especially if Schneider recommends them with that cam. Remember, never run the timing more than 36d. total advance.

car62
06-05-2012, 01:43 AM
that is a good cam...makes lots of power!!!

we run it to 7400

Dan32
06-05-2012, 01:18 PM
6 degrees advance is way too much. that is usually the max you can advance. You are getting all of your cam off the corner and unless you are running on a 1/5 or 1/4 size track, you do not have any thing left for the top end. You did not say what size track you were on. what your gearing was and if itis a solid or hyd cam, sounds like itis a hyd. Milford is right, you need to back it up some. Advance gives you more pop off the corners on a short track that is great. Retard gives you less pop and more rpm at the long end. That is why I asked what size track you are running. If it is 1/3 or more, you need less advance. Try 3 d, if that wont work try straignt up 0, then start going back the other way. I would do that before I started messing with springs especially if Schneider recommends them with that cam. Remember, never run the timing more than 36d. total advance.

why 36?? we run up to 41! on some motors!! makes good power up there to!! all depending on short block!!

dannyracer6
06-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Dan, I agree, most long rod motors like 40ish numbers. and you can run the little rod motors will work there, but in most lightly modified classes, the 36d point is reasonably safe. I ran my manley rod, RE crank 5.7 motor 36 then tried it at 41 and went back to 36. It seemed to like it better there. Just a preferrence.