PDA

View Full Version : Bubba assaulted at Powell Memorial?

drtrkr244
06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Rumors going around, after last weekends race, that Bubba was assaulted two different times Friday night by members of the Powell family.

Did anyone see it or have any facts to support the rumors?

mf0521
06-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Went both nights, in the stands and in the pits, didnt hear that rumour at all.

drtrkr244
06-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I was there Fri night also.

The first one was posted on another thread and the story I was told today confirmed it.

Supposedly, the second one happened after the races Fri night at Bubbas hauler.

Not trying to cause trouble, just confirming what I was told.

mf0521
06-05-2012, 12:57 AM
I was there Fri night also.

The first one was posted on another thread and the story I was told today confirmed it.

Supposedly, the second one happened after the races Fri night at Bubbas hauler.

Not trying to cause trouble, just confirming what I was told.

Would be interesting to find out the whole story.
If the family wasnt happy with the 2 winner format, thats certainly their perogative,
but the schedule has been out for a time, seems if that was it , it would have been
addressed before friday rolled around.

smokey power
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I know this stuff happens,( Mike Head) beat the devil otta me @ senoia last season & I'm 70 yoa. After spendin' lots of time& money to be put back together, I think if anything even remotely like that happens to me ,

I think Ya'll best kill me or buy some cork's to fill the holes my buddy is gonna put in your body!!!! My sympathy To ya'll,Bubba & to your kin,Smokey

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Would be interesting to find out the whole story.
If the family wasnt happy with the 2 winner format, thats certainly their perogative,
but the schedule has been out for a time, seems if that was it , it would have been
addressed before friday rolled around.

That is only one of the things that I think were at issue.

matdaddy
06-05-2012, 01:07 PM
That is the reason I carry Mister Ruger in my racecar.

Egoracing
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
For all of the people that think it is something new, There has been duel events in the Powel Memorial LONG before this past event. In 2003 James Powell himself won the second leg of the event.

southgapeach
06-05-2012, 06:41 PM
http://deepdixieracing.blogspot.com/2012/06/breaking-news-powell-family-upset-with.html

drtrkr244
06-05-2012, 08:27 PM
One issue I was told pertained to the new bar Bubba had built.

Suppposedly, where it was built, once stood a playground for kids. It was named in honor of James Powell's kids that were killed.

If that is the case, that will really hurt the attendance at the track. The locals were very supportive of the Powell family.

latemodel28d
06-06-2012, 09:03 AM
bubba's side of story

"I would like to take this time to explain to you what happened Friday night at approx 1am in the Pits of BRP. This isnt my side of the story, its the truth witnessed by at least 10 other people, one of which is a retired dep sheriff.

At 1am as i was sitting in a fold out chair next to my 9 year old son and with my race crew after a long night of fighting the elements/very muddy track i was approached by a woman i did not know. She walked up to me and with a attitude asked whos bubba? i knowing she was upset about something and it was very very obvious that she was very drunk told her i was bubba. at this point she goes on to say she is james powells wife. and that im am a piece of (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) cause i ruined the powell name and race by making it a two day show, and i didnt call her husband back wednesday when he called me.

i calmly explained that we (the track) had a system in place to determine a overall winner of the two days and that two nights at 5000 to win each night was more racer friendly than one night of 10k to win. she wasnt having it and didnt want to hear it. i explained to her over the years most other owners would make the racers come in on friday and qualify and run heats and that my new format was better for the racers.

i then explained to her that im/my partner tom bean are at brp every sat night and that her husband needed to come see me months ago so we could make what ever changes he felt we needed to make. and that calling me 2days b4 the event wasnt very responsible. she continued to argue with me...after about 10 min of her screaming at me in front of my son telling me how i ruined her familys name i asked her to leave..

after repeated attempts to ask her to leave, she kept telling me shes not leaving, and i cant do (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word).....i then became upset and yelled at her, i said get the hell out of my pits...now.....Yes i am guilty of saying that to her...i can assure you this was after no less than 10-15 min of trying to reason with someone that was so drunk she could barley stand. again all this was witnessed by at least 10 people including a former sworn dep sheriff.
at this point one of my female track employees asks her to leave and she does.

ten min later here comes james powell headed my way.. im still sitting in my chair next to my son..mr powell walks up to me while im sitting down and punches me in the face. he tells me this is for cussing at my wife.. this in front of my son. nice........

mr powell was obviously very drunk as well i then get up, grab mr powell and attempt to give him what he gave me, of which i think a few of my punches landed, at this point 2 of his drinking buddies jump on my back but cant get me to the ground, at this point my crew jumps in and gets them off of me and i tell mr powell he needs to leave.

mr powell then proceeds to tell me that he is camping in his bus in my parking lot and hes not going anywhere. i told him im not a tattle tale, and im not calling the marion co sheriff to have them arrested for hitting me if they just leave the property

at this point they leave. i didnt want to call the police and already make a bad situation worse...although perhaps now that i look back i should have cause it would have explained who did what and all you haters wouldnt have your bubba the love jerk smart ass comments. the sad thing of it all is this.
1. my son had to witness this
2. as they drove away ive been told they had their kids in the bus
3. i never met mr/mrs powell but ive heard nothing but wonderful wonderful things about them and they were so so pro racer.. this situation no matter how you slice it is bad for their good/honorable name.

me/my partner tom bean/ and our race track will not tolerate this kind of drunken behavior while we are trying to honor your good family.
i wish the powells nothing but the best and im ashamed for my part in this very embarrassing situation....mr/mrs powell would have never wanted these issues.....

from now on this time in june will be the florida late model state championship with 5000 to win for two nights. and the overall winner being awarded a championship type ring....congrats to this years winnner mark whitner im headed to old north east jewelers tomm to design marks ring and it will be awarded to him when its done.

please keep updated on 2day florida state championships races being scheduled right now for hobbys/open wheel/v8 thunders and limited late models at bubbaracewaypark.com

thank you to all for giving me a chance to tell you the truth"

Bubba Clem

Chico
06-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Mr Clem You proved what kind of man you are by taking blame for your part of this fracas I'm sure your son will realize what kind of man you are one who say he's wrong if he is and a man who stands up when he's right Insofar as this family You were a whole lot more tolerant than most would be It's sad when people get intoxicated and do things they may not otherwise do Bottom line it's your track and you have the right to eun an event as you see fit and as you said a couple of days before an event is hardly enough time to change the format As you say you prob would have been better off to call Marion County as That would have saved you probs but as you say would create a new set It's very sad the allow their kids to see them in this conditition much less operating a motor vehicle I'm afraid this is where I would have drawn the Line Good Luck Mr Clem Hopefully on one of my fla trips I can visit your facility

latemodel28d
06-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Mr Clem You proved what kind of man you are by taking blame for your part of this fracas I'm sure your son will realize what kind of man you are one who say he's wrong if he is and a man who stands up when he's right Insofar as this family You were a whole lot more tolerant than most would be It's sad when people get intoxicated and do things they may not otherwise do Bottom line it's your track and you have the right to eun an event as you see fit and as you said a couple of days before an event is hardly enough time to change the format As you say you prob would have been better off to call Marion County as That would have saved you probs but as you say would create a new set It's very sad the allow their kids to see them in this conditition much less operating a motor vehicle I'm afraid this is where I would have drawn the Line Good Luck Mr Clem Hopefully on one of my fla trips I can visit your facility

tracks nice,racey and fast if worked right, one of the races you need to attend would be the winter nationals during speedweeks best racin i seen there

dhall31794
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
I think that this was just a blip on everybody's radar up until now. By telling your side, now it is incumbent on us to hear the "other" side, if they so desire to tell it. There are two sides to every story and the truth will pretty much always lay in the middle somewhere. I'm anxious now to here what the Powells have to say. Tomorrow marks the anniversary of James Powell losing his twin daughters and his parents. This may or may not be an appropriate time for a response from them. I sure don't think it was very respectful to post this mess on here today.

latemodel28d
06-06-2012, 03:29 PM
your right there are 2 sides to every story, but if this race ment so much to the powells and if they were "drunk" then thats not good on their part, you can have a great time at a race track without having any drinks. im on noones side. bubba man up side his side, theres other sides. sucks that it happen and that theres no longer a memorial for the powell's thats the ones that got the raw end of the deal

dhall31794
06-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Looking at past history, most reasonable and prudent people will be able to make an informed decision as to who more credibility will be given.

dalexander19
06-06-2012, 04:31 PM
I think that this was just a blip on everybody's radar up until now. By telling your side, now it is incumbent on us to hear the "other" side, if they so desire to tell it. There are two sides to every story and the truth will pretty much always lay in the middle somewhere. I'm anxious now to here what the Powells have to say. Tomorrow marks the anniversary of James Powell losing his twin daughters and his parents. This may or may not be an appropriate time for a response from them. I sure don't think it was very respectful to post this mess on here today.

Absolutely, I would like to hear their side also. I don't quite agree with the way they handled themselves Saturday morning. But then again I don't know how I would feel if someone demolished a dedicated memorial for my deceased children to build a bar, or if someone unwillingly changed a traditional memorial race that I had started to honor my deceased family members. Something doesn't quite jive just right, for the powells to be so opposed to a two day show I find it hard to believe they waited until Wednesday to confront Bubba about it. The sad part isn't that the kid seen his dad get into a scuffle at a racetrack, anybody that has been more than 1/2 a dozen times has witnessed a cussing or a punch or two thrown. Young or old. If u haven't, u haven't been going long enough to have an opinion on the matter. The real sad thing is the most prestigious memorial race in FL is no more!

Highside Hustler25
06-06-2012, 08:28 PM
anybody that has been more than 1/2 a dozen times has witnessed a cussing or a punch or two thrown. Young or old. If u haven't, u haven't been going long enough to have an opinion on the matter.

Maybe you should try some different tracks. I haven't seen a good fight in years and I hit quite a few different tracks here in the midwest. I do have an opinion on the matter though. I'll side with a promoter over a drunk any day.

mf0521
06-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Alot of unfortunate circumstances that night, as far as the playground, it is repaced with a large covered area,
that does have a bar with some flat screens at one end , but it also has alot of tables and chairs, so this provides agood place to sit and eat,
also a place to go to get out of the rain for a large number of people , which is very much needed some sat nights as happened last month when there was a couple hour rain delay.
As far as the playground being dedicated to anyone, honestly dont know, took my grandaughter there a few times
last year and i dont remember seeing a sign.

dalexander19
06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Maybe you should try some different tracks. I haven't seen a good fight in years and I hit quite a few different tracks here in the midwest. I do have an opinion on the matter though. I'll side with a promoter over a drunk any day.

Maybe u should get on YouTube and check out the one that happened at oclala between Bo Allen and Mark Whitener last year, or better yet come to this part of the country and witness one for ureself. As far as going to different tracks I've been to about 10 different ones and took in about 20 races this year and been going for the past 25 yrs so I've seen my fair share of tracks and pissed off competitors!

drtrkr244
06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Glad to hear at least one side of the story.

Something still doesnt add up at BRP, though.

Ive been going every other week. The tracks been smooth and very racey. BRP pays NLMS type lm's $1750 to win.
However, there has not been a full field all year.

Also, the number of fans is a lot less also.

Is it the economy, or is Bubbas personality too brazen for the locals? Any ideas?

latemodel28d
06-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Glad to hear at least one side of the story.

Something still doesnt add up at BRP, though.

Ive been going every other week. The tracks been smooth and very racey. BRP pays NLMS type lm's $1750 to win.
However, there has not been a full field all year.

Also, the number of fans is a lot less also.

Is it the economy, or is Bubbas personality too brazen for the locals? Any ideas?

there arent a full field anywhere now a days down this way, you be lucky if a track gets 15 lms on a reg sat night now, heck bubba pays more on a reg sat then any other track. theres to many tracks within driving reason to have a full field and im sure the economy is not everyones best friend right now either. the nlms events dont even draw a full field of cars yet, i think the most was 22 so far

latemodel28d
06-07-2012, 10:23 AM
heres the other side to the story

this was from Kimberly powell

Well, Bubba seems to have left out some of the details of the incidence that happened on Friday night at 1 am.
I did walk up to Bubba with an attitude, that was very much deserved. Bubba is using the “Powell” name for his 2 day race show and NEVER contacted James Powell. James tried to to contact him 4-5 times with texts and left messages. But NO response. Billy, the track promoter, told James a few days before that Bubba said to him that he indeed got James’ messages and said “what does he want?” ......Well, let’s see Bubba, maybe he wanted to help promote the Powell memorial race or do any thing he could to help. In years past James has been on radio interviews, interviews for the Ocala Star Banner, etc.
As for the comment of me being very, very drunk that is so far from the truth. Yes, I had a few drinks but by NO means drunk. And neither was James!
Bubba NEVER was calm as he claims! And never tried to explain anything in a calm manor. He was his typical arrogant self. He was rude and yelling profanity....as he was sitting in his “fold out” chair, stuffing his mouth with a sub the entire time I was there. Total lack of respect.
Not really sure why Bubba thought James “needed” to get in touch with him for the “POWELL” race. Seems to me Bubba should be contacting James to make sure everything is OK to go ahead with the race and still use the name.....for the deceased family members. But there again James did try numerous times! Bubba has NO idea what the race is about. He just knows it is a very big race in Florida and wanted to capitalize on it.
Bubba YOU are the irresponsible one!! Way to go! You are using someone else’s last name so YOU can make $$$$$$ and cant return their call.
Yes, I was there about 10 minutes. But in those 10 minutes Bubba told me to “get the F**K off my property, IN front of his own 9 year old son. Not only once did he say it but twice. Again, in front of his 9 year old son. Oh then he stated to me that he would “have the F****NG sheriff removed me from the property” AGAIN in front of his 9 year old son. I guess he thought that would intimidate me. Wrong.
When James heard of the argument he went over to Bubba. James stuck his hand out as to shake his hand and said “I just want to congratulate you on being the biggest P. O. S.” At that point bubba grabbed James’ hand and pulled him into him. And the fight began.
James told Bubba that were going to leave and to remove the “Powell” name from the race on Saturday. Bubba never got the chance to tell us to leave!
Yes, Bubba, it was a very sad situation! Only a BIG thanks to you and your greedy self!
Way to go Bubba on removing the playground that was yet another Memorial for both of James twin daughters killed in the crash!!! And what is there now.... a place to buy alcohol!! What a heart you have. Oh, that is right, I think you were the one that made the song up about Casey Anthony!! Having duck tape on her face. SICK individual!
As for my kids being in my bus....Yes, they sure were. They are 5 years and 10 months and asleep....Just where they SHOULD be at 1 am in the morning!!! They were not alone just to let you know. I am a GOOD parent!
And for Bubba talking about Buddy and Elizabeth Powell not wanting this...little does he know that they would have been right there with all of us. Defending the family name. Oh, and thank God, for Bubba’s sake JH Powell SR was not there. LOL

It only took Bubba 5 days to compose a letter. And that is only because he can’t handle the truth, nor the negative comments people were writing about him!

NOW, that is the WHOLE story. I was done with this whole situation but since Bubba wanted to post something I figured I needed to put in the few MINOR details he left out. Bubba wants to act as if he is such a nice person but he is NOT!!
KARMA might be a small word but it has large repercussion!!! He will see it!

drtrkr244
06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
there arent a full field anywhere now a days down this way, you be lucky if a track gets 15 lms on a reg sat night now, heck bubba pays more on a reg sat then any other track. theres to many tracks within driving reason to have a full field and im sure the economy is not everyones best friend right now either. the nlms events dont even draw a full field of cars yet, i think the most was 22 so far

I agree!

But....... why wouldnt the lms want to race for the most CASH? ie, better track, better facility, or is it BUBBA?

BTW, Im glad to hear the other side of the story. Im sure both sides believe theirs is the truth! But I believe Bubba will pay the most price, due to his reputation, and the Powells good name in the community.

Chico
06-07-2012, 10:51 PM
evidently you have nothing against alcohol as you admitting you were drinking so that' seems to be a null point imo

Egoracing
06-08-2012, 07:10 AM
evidently you have nothing against alcohol as you admitting you were drinking so that' seems to be a null point imo

Also alcohol is not allowed in the pits at any track that I have seen. I worked in the club/bar industry for several years and I can only remember a few people that were drunk that would admit or even knew they were drunk. How many "Not drunk" drivers get arrested every year.

Rocky
06-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Looks like BRP won't be getting my money any time soon..

latemodel28d
06-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Looks like BRP won't be getting my money any time soon..

ppl thats boycotting a particular track or owner is only hurting the fans and racers in gerneral bc could end up as another track closing. plus thats just some great racing that you are gonna miss thats all. i try to hit all the big shows that are there(late model wise) all ready looking forward to the winter nationals. last year was the best racing period there.

Rocky
06-08-2012, 04:31 PM
ppl thats boycotting a particular track or owner is only hurting the fans and racers in gerneral bc could end up as another track closing. plus thats just some great racing that you are gonna miss thats all. i try to hit all the big shows that are there(late model wise) all ready looking forward to the winter nationals. last year was the best racing period there.

Me not going for speedweeks won't hurt the track, arrogant people running race tracks and changing MEMORIAL events up without consulting the family then going on the internet and callin' them alcoholics sure will though. Seriously if he would have started yellin' at my woman I'd have socked him too and I don't even care if she was drunk. For some reason I tend to believe the not famous person especially because Clem is famous for well bein' an @sshole on the radio.

dalexander19
06-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Me not going for speedweeks won't hurt the track, arrogant people running race tracks and changing MEMORIAL events up without consulting the family then going on the internet and callin' them alcoholics sure will though. Seriously if he would have started yellin' at my woman I'd have socked him too and I don't even care if she was drunk. For some reason I tend to believe the not famous person especially because Clem is famous for well bein' an @sshole on the radio.

THANK YOU! Glad to see I'm not the only one who has heard Bubba's radio show. For all those people out there that was concerned about the kid hearing a few cuss words I insist u give it a listen. He sure ain't the Fred Rogers he tried to portray himself as being in his FB post!

mf0521
06-08-2012, 07:53 PM
This whole thing has gotten pretty crazy. Who knows what exactly happened.
I still dont really get what was so bad about changing the format, that was intended
to draw hopefully more competetors and more fans.
I , work nights and took off early that night to go, simply for the fact of having a late
model feature night 1 as well.
The other part that doesnt make sense is if the family was that upset about those changes,
which is certainly their perogative,
why would you wait till 1 am after night number 1 to address it with him ,with all the ways
out there to get it out, if you cant by phone, such as facebook, websites like 4m or flagstand,
or even the newspaper or even mail ,since the schedule has been out for some time, issues could have
been addressed way in advance and not come to a head the night of the event.
Im guessing both sides ,in hindsight, may have handled it differently.
It is kind of funny tho to see how people respond to what happened and their opinion is strictly based on whether
or not they like bubba or his show, particularly on FB.
The whole thing was definately unfortunate for many reasons.

ALASKA54
06-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't listen to his show and don't intend to but if he's paying 3K or more, there's probably a 90% present chance of me being at the track. I remember the playground because my grandson played on it, I don't remember a sign saying it was there for the children of the tragety. If there was an agreement with the previous owner, that was with the previous owner. I wasn't there and don't who's telling the truth. We may have to call in Judge Judy.

Rocky
06-08-2012, 11:46 PM
This guy made it pretty clear what he was gonna do, which was whatever he wants, the day he decided to not only run on top of East Bay but did it with Walmart pricing. IT DOESN'T matter what was intended when you have a memorial race it HAS to be in accordance with the families wishes and it sounds like this dude decided to ask for forgiveness instead of asking for permission. But since he's a popular radio personality he can get a pass. I'm sorry but I have to raise the BS flag. And he can produce all the "credible eye witnesses" he wants and I still don't believe him. Celebrities ALWAYS get a pass in this country which is a thing that really frosts me about my beloved US of A. I'll still die for her but I know she has her faults.

FutureLegend
06-09-2012, 03:52 AM
Well Eastbay deserved to be run on top of, for the watered down product they called racing the last three years that they spoon fed all the fans. If you've ever been to Florida that Walmart pricing as you call it used to be the price at East Bay. Every year they have raised the price and done less and less to make the track racey so they got exactly what they deserved this year. As far as the memorial race is concerned, a race track is a business and making the race a two day show with a feature each day is the better decision for a promotor to make money. This gives the family an entire weekend as a memorial instead of the qualifying Friday night and feature Saturday. Most fans do not attened the qualifying night so, unless the family is putting the money up for the race to be that format, I could care less how they think it should be run. You either have it or you don't, it's that simple.

Highside Hustler25
06-09-2012, 06:43 AM
...but Rocky, he has a former retired, sworn, honorable, and respected pistol packing Deputy Sheriff on his side. :) That's gotta be worth something.

Egoracing
06-09-2012, 09:13 AM
In 2003 James Powel won the SECOND leg of the Powell Memorial race, This information is easy to find on line. I did not see the family all upset then and it was run as a multi race event. It is only NOW that they are all upset. Kinda makes you wonder why? If Bubba OR the Racetrack own the naming rights they can continue to call it the Powell Memorial and run it every other week if they wanted to and teh family can not do a thing about it.

dalexander19
06-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Let's review the "so-called" facts. It's pretty clear the Powells were upset bout the race being a 2 day deal, and from Mrs. Powells posts sounds like James tried to contact Bubba numerous times to no avail. And we know that Bubba decided to have a 2 day show to benefit the racers, race 2 nites and get paid to do so. The first thing that should've happened is there should have been some communication between the 2 to resolve the problem. It could've been resolved any number of ways and still benefitted the track and gave the powells what they wanted. If u want to run 2 nites run the lower classes on Friday and have an open practice for the LM , then come back Saturday and run limiteds and have 1-75 lap 5,000 to win, 750 to start Powell memorial. With that kind of payout he probably would've drawn in a lot more cars and the drivers would of had a choice to come Friday or not. Idk what he paid out but between the 2 purses both nites he probably could've done this very easily. And as far as anybody having any right to the name or the event it would have to solely be James Powell himself, he started it and has been a part of it this whole time, so HELL yea he should've had some input on how it was organized.

Egoracing
06-09-2012, 11:19 AM
And as far as anybody having any right to the name or the event it would have to solely be James Powell himself, he started it and has been a part of it this whole time, so HELL yea he should've had some input on how it was organized.

If the track CR'd the name of the event, they own it. There are no legal rights to the event unless it was CR'd by either party.

dalexander19
06-09-2012, 02:25 PM
If the track CR'd the name of the event, they own it. There are no legal rights to the event unless it was CR'd by either party.

They changed the name Saturday so I would have to say the track doesn't own the rights to the Powell name for advertisement.

blncfn57
06-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Sure seems as though there could have been a better way to handle the situation. Was Bubba MIA the whole night until 1a.m.? Just curious as to why he wasn't approached while everyone was sober. Something seems odd.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Sure seems as though there could have been a better way to handle the situation. Was Bubba MIA the whole night until 1a.m.? Just curious as to why he wasn't approached while everyone was sober. Something seems odd.

He was working the track, watching outside 1 and 2, and several other places inaccessible to fans.

hausman
06-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Recognizing what took place and how high emotions are, maybe a meeting between the two parties to find common ground would not only help find closure, but give both parties a chance to plan a great Memorial race for the following season.

Sometimes mistakes are made, whether unintentional or otherwise, and in many cases communication ends up being the core issue.

It sounds like the Powells wanted to be involved in support of the Memorial Race weekend, and rightfully so. Sounds like Bubba is trying to set up a structure where the racers benefit...

It would be really cool if the two parties worked together to build a GREAT racing weekend in 2013!!