PDA

View Full Version : anybody sucking dirt with r2c air filters

hakuld
06-05-2012, 09:37 PM
im sucking dirt into carb with r2c air filter with super seal filter,looks llike its coming thru filter i have top and bottom greased and am finding dust on bell of lower lid and in carb throat,does these filters go bad after a season anybody else having problems with dust from r2c filter?

Leftterns
06-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Nope.

I saw one that had a carb fire/backfire that burned the inside of the filter and they didn't know it. Could have a hole from a puncture or something similar too.

Other than that and if you use the right Late Model filter, zero issues.

hall99
06-06-2012, 08:21 AM
I'll have to say, I had the same problem when these filters first got popular in DLM. I gave them a call and they sent me a new one free of charge, really stand up people.

Todd Hall

mab475
06-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Zero problems here. Get the grease off the top and bottom you don't need it ads just making a mess.

joedoozer
06-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I never had an issue with mine. And then one day I noticed some dust. Upon inspection I found that the air filter housing gasket that sits on the carb was folded over and not sealing. Swapped it out and never had a problem since. Are you 100% sure it's the filters fault? And not the housing, or around the stud?

hakuld
06-06-2012, 02:21 PM
i tried a new air cleaner housing top and bottom,have a rubber carb gaket greased between the lower lid and carb a rubber washer around top lid of stud and use a outerware pre filter.

clintenyeart
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
is it one of the old filters or the new double lip ? the old ones wouldnt seal and did suck dust . i had that problem and they sent a new double lip and no dust since.

pajamie
06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
We had the same problem with ours.. New everything.. greased it.. pre-filter.. found dirt in the carb everytime.. I emailed them and never got a response.. The car owner threw it on the shelf and went back to spraying a K&N with an Outwear and no more dirt in the carb..

stock car driver
06-07-2012, 08:51 AM
im sucking dirt into carb with r2c air filter with super seal filter,looks llike its coming thru filter i have top and bottom greased and am finding dust on bell of lower lid and in carb throat,does these filters go bad after a season anybody else having problems with dust from r2c filter?

It sounds like you bought the wrong filter.The dirt track filter has two sealing lips on the top and bottom.

I started a thread about this several years ago as I had bought one of their first ever filters and noticed dirt. It turns out I had the first version and not the one with the sealing lips. Ed sent me one of the newer styles free of charge. With the newer style and a wrap around the outside I seldom see any dust and my hood sits on the air cleaner top.

11jcr51
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Well we ran a R2C filter for about 8-9 races went and got the motor freshened and the motor builder found dirt, and pretty much said you can either buy a K&N Filter, or keep running these R2C ones and be my friend haha. Never once had a problem with K&N with an Outerwear.

stock car driver
06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Well we ran a R2C filter for about 8-9 races went and got the motor freshened and the motor builder found dirt, and pretty much said you can either buy a K&N Filter, or keep running these R2C ones and be my friend haha. Never once had a problem with K&N with an Outerwear.

Did you have the late model filter with the two seals top and bottom?

I got dirt with kn, I also gained 15rwhp when I ditched kn.

R2C Competition Filters
06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Racers,

If you ever have a problem with an R2C product, call or send me an e-mail.

There is nothing close in terms of efficiency and dust holding ability available today. There were over 11,000 p/n R10522 filters sold during the last year.

We designed and manufactured these filters in response to the requests from racers. I walk the pits over the course of the season and in conversations with teams, ask why they choose a particular media type. Half won't use paper and the others condemn the oiled gauze?

Our filters exceed 99.3% efficiency. That doesn't mean they will stop everything. In fractional efficiency testing, we dramatically exceed the performance of any filter made when measuring particulate down to .3 microns. Gauze and paper efficiency is below 95% and the gauze is miserable at particulate levels below 5 microns.

100% efficiency is a piece of sheet metal. Buy an R10522 or R10523 and try it. If you don't think it's the finest filter you've ever used, we'll refund your money.

Regards,
Ed
racing@r2cperformance.com
708-776-2016 Direct

P.S. Try one of our new CFD 4150 4 barrel air cleaner bases with Direct Flow Technology! Excellent power and torque gains across all applications!

FlatTire
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Air filters are kind of like set-ups. You change one thing and you compromise something else. So as the filtration efficiency goes up, so does the restriction. As a racer we must
find the right balance between how well a filter traps dust and how well it flows air. There is no such thing as a filter that stops all the dirt and also has zero restriction nor will it ever
be achievable. Its been proven many times that less restriction(lower efficiency) makes more power on the dyno so do your own research and pick what's right for you.

I'd bet that if you put an engine on the dyno and made pulls with an R2C and some pulls with a K&N that you will make bigger numbers with the K&N.
What are your thoughts on that Mr. Ed? I've done my own dyno tests with a K&N vs. a Wix Gold Paper filter but haven't had one of your filters on there yet. If you'd like to send me
a free one I'll gladly try it out and post the results right here!

R2C Competition Filters
06-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I would bet that the KN would produce less power as has been the case in countless pulls across all applications.

It's not correct to simply assume that higher efficiency equates to higher restriction. And yes, there are other factors involved when power production is the main consideration. Another interesting test is to load a paper or gauze filter and measure what occurs once they begin to collect dust. The curve can be vertical. We tested a prominent cellulose filter that had been used in a lengthy dirt LM race. 17.4" w.g. after completing the event. Low restriction and maximum power is fantastic when new and clean but what happens when you're half way through the race and you see restriction numbers approaching these levels? You can't do a thing about it. You could conceivably pull 4 jets sizes out at this point. R2C filters maintain the power you brought to the race better than any other filter you may use.

Restriction will always rise as demand increases. That's why our filters feature unique media configurations based on what engine and environment the vehicles will be operated in.

You purchase one of our Late Model/Modified filters and if it doesn't outperform your KN cheesecloth or paper filter, I'll refund the purchase price and buy you a new KN or WIX of your choice.

Then you should dyno test using the CFD 4150 bases for a neat experience!

Regards,
Ed

hms_11
06-07-2012, 02:28 PM
FlatTire,
My engine builder (West Carleton Automotive, Ontario, Canada) did some testing last year or the year before. Ed sent me 2 filters, I ran one all season long with proper cleaning and service and the other one stayed in the box as a "control" We did the same thing with a K&N. We had one that had been run all season (with cleaning, oiling, etc) and a brand new K&N "control". NO pre-filter on either the K&N or the R2C.

At the end of the season the properly serviced R2C was within 1HP of the BRAND NEW R2C. Needless to say.... as a guy who bought new filters every season, I was impressed, and spending money I didn't need to.

The New K&N was only 5HP down against the R2C on a 604 crate when new but the end of season K&N told the true story. It was down 15HP!

Along with the horsepower difference, put one of each filter in your hands. The R2C is hands and feet above the K&N in terms of strength and construction quality. We've take rocks in the airfilter with our R2C that would demolish a K&N and all it left was a dent in the face of the filter.

That's what we discovered from our testing. I was 100% sure the R2C was another gimmick..... until we tried and tested them... Now I'm a full believer!

stock car driver
06-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Air filters are kind of like set-ups. You change one thing and you compromise something else. So as the filtration efficiency goes up, so does the restriction. As a racer we must
find the right balance between how well a filter traps dust and how well it flows air. There is no such thing as a filter that stops all the dirt and also has zero restriction nor will it ever
be achievable. Its been proven many times that less restriction(lower efficiency) makes more power on the dyno so do your own research and pick what's right for you.

I'd bet that if you put an engine on the dyno and made pulls with an R2C and some pulls with a K&N that you will make bigger numbers with the K&N.
What are your thoughts on that Mr. Ed? I've done my own dyno tests with a K&N vs. a Wix Gold Paper filter but haven't had one of your filters on there yet. If you'd like to send me
a free one I'll gladly try it out and post the results right here!

They have no need to give you one for free to test...... Though he said if you buy one and dont like it youll get your money back from him.

Ive already done the back to back testing at least 4 years ago and I have a NEW r2c in a bag here that I have also tested my USED and filthy one against on the chassis dyno and my USED and cleaned one against on the chassis dyno...

Kn was down 15rwhp .... Thats a test I did over 5 years ago when I threw all my kn away.

Thanks Ed for coming on here again. I didnt even think to email you about this thread, but apparently someone else did.

Jeff Joldersma Racing runs r2c exclusively since 2009.

cjsracing
06-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I bought an R2C filter last year and as long as they make them I will never by another brand of air filter. It has kept my engine clean and it's easy to clean and reuse.

I had run Wix paper filters before and replaced them every 5 races, never ran K&N mainly because it doesn't make sense to me to have to put oil on a air filter.

www.cjsracing.com

hakuld
06-11-2012, 10:20 PM
i contacted ed at r2c and he sent me a new filter to try,great customer service class act no bull crap he takes pride in his products,i would buy his products anytime with no hesitation thank you for addressing my problem and trying to satisfy me.im sure my dust problem was 1 in a thousand filters that had a slight imperfection from all of the positive reviews that they get.