PDA

View Full Version : first car

aknorr
06-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Just picked up my first car, got an 05 grt. I bought steve smith book to figure out how to work on it. Any other recomended resources? outside of other racers?

talclipse
06-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I haven't picked up one of the Steve Smith books in a very long time; with that said the stuff they presented was based on old theory back then. I am not sure if this has improved or not.

Regardless my first recommendation for information is the racewise school. The class is very informative and short of going to something like McDowell's deal the best money you can put towards your racing program because it helps with your thought process and thinking all the way through an adjustment.

Follow the setup guide provided by your chassis manufacturer making small adjustments one at a time until you get a feel for what you like in the car. make sure you keep accurate notes!!!!

More important than any class or book though is laps. When you are first starting out you need to learn how to get maximum laps and maximize your laps. If you haven't been around any other teams try to hook up with someone that you rarely see have mechanical failures and try to learn how they maintain and service their equipment weekly. That will help you maximize the number of laps you get to complete. Tearing up equipment (yours and others) is just going to reduce the number of laps you complete so take care of your stuff on the track. To maximize your laps set goals for yourself each and every time the car touches the track (not spinning the car out, staying on the lead lap and being able to load the car in the trailer in one piece) also; having someone to video tape you racing. Your perspective inside the car is often very different than it is outside the car.

aknorr
06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
thank you, not familar with this school?

FlatTire
06-08-2012, 01:49 PM
HEre's the link for the Racewise school.
http://www.racewise.net/ I highly recommend it.

One thing I would recommend is find somebody decent to take you under their wing. Find someone that understands set up and is willing to help you. Park next to him. Stick with
him and don't go back and forth between different people trying to sort your car/driving out.

The Steve Smith book is pretty old, but its got good basic material in there.

aknorr
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
thx bud, race wise doesnt come to my area, but thanks anyway. I literally know nothing at all so smith book will hopefully teach me basic fundamentals

Egoracing
06-08-2012, 03:02 PM
thx bud, race wise doesnt come to my area, but thanks anyway. I literally know nothing at all so smith book will hopefully teach me basic fundamentals

Where are you located?

aknorr
06-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Where are you located?

south jersey

lovinlatemodels
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Contact LAS MOTORSPROTS they are a GRT dealer in south central Pa ask for Scott Labaron owner/driver (717) 880-4556 or Close racing supply in western pa Ask for Bob Close owner/driver (814)225-3250 They will get you heading in the right direction

aknorr
06-08-2012, 05:27 PM
thanks guys

grt74
06-08-2012, 09:02 PM
if this is the first time in a late model make sure to set the car up free and learn to drive the car that way first and then tighten her up a little at a time,im guessing that your new to racing a late model or open wheel (4 bar setups)and dont get caught up in all the high dollar parts until you get fast,i sold my 05 grt to a kid and he won the track championship with it the 1st year out(he had been racing crates before)with off the self bilstien shocks and standard springs,its all about taking care of the car and always checking for binds every week,keep good notes also(i hated homework in school,who would have known that i would have to still be keeping notes)good luck use your head and youll be fine, standard setup on grts web site will get you going in a circle but once you get used to it and can drive it that way youll have to tighten her up to be in the front

aknorr
06-09-2012, 09:25 AM
thx, is there anyway I can verify its an 05 grt? Like is there a serial #?

zeroracing
06-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I think there website is www.teamgrt.com you can get the number from there, but calling them will allow you to find and verify the serial number, example my Swartz is located on the bar your steering wheel hooks too. But get can tell you where then look it up to see if they have any info on it like repairs, also who bought it originally, another thing is they can send you the original set up sheet for it, which will work as your baseline.

Egoracing
06-09-2012, 11:47 AM
thx, is there anyway I can verify its an 05 grt? Like is there a serial #?

Left front frame by the drivers box there should be a number on the top of the frame tube in weld.

Graff Spee
06-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I have a RaceWise book from 2008, used but not abused. $50 plus shipping pm me

to16go
06-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Just picked up my first car, got an 05 grt. I bought steve smith book to figure out how to work on it. Any other recomended resources? outside of other racers?

I live in SJ and can help you.Where do you plan to run?

sj valley dave
06-13-2012, 01:38 AM
The Steve Smith book is a good starting spot...Where are you racing? We are Central CA

mickeyd18
06-14-2012, 02:50 PM
the chassie # will be on the left front motor mount and GRT can verify the year

aknorr
06-16-2012, 01:03 AM
I have a RaceWise book from 2008, used but not abused. $50 plus shipping pm me

thx man, if you have it later this summer after I get more familiar I will be contacting you

aknorr
06-16-2012, 01:04 AM
The Steve Smith book is a good starting spot...Where are you racing? We are Central CA

New Jersey and North Carolina

to16go
06-17-2012, 08:09 AM
New Jersey and North Carolina

are you planning on running new egypt?Just buy sheets of aluminum and make your own body.I have templates. Call me 856-397-2425

aknorr
06-17-2012, 02:55 PM
are you planning on running new egypt?Just buy sheets of aluminum and make your own body.I have templates. Call me 856-397-2425

I dont own anything to bend it up and have 0 skills. I cant run NES at the moment would like too but gotta sell/trade my 358 first since I need a 602/604