PDA

View Full Version : S7 spindle advantage

neil7e
06-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Looking for some info on what the advantage is to switching to the S7 spindle,and how it affects the handleing on the smack chassis? thanks in advance for any ideas or thoughts!

11jcr51
06-11-2012, 07:54 AM
We've noticed that it free the car up alot in. Put the wide front on if you're planning to run it to help tighten it up. Other than that it really helps the car steer more positive

F22 RAPTOR
06-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Doing just the spindle isn't the right thing to do. S7 is a complete front end, you can't just whip on a set of spindles and think you've got an S7 front end, it doesn't work that way.

Matt49
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Doing just the spindle isn't the right thing to do. S7 is a complete front end, you can't just whip on a set of spindles and think you've got an S7 front end, it doesn't work that way.

Partially true.
The left side control arm lengths and tie rod length are the same from the old stuff to the S7. Both spindles are are different. Both right side control arms are different and the right side tie rod is different.
Ride heights also change to 3.5" both sides with the S7 setup.

neil7e
06-11-2012, 06:31 PM
thanks for the info, just trying to find out what if any the advantage is to switching and how it will affect the car. thanks guys!

racer241
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
From what ive experienced ,Now im still pretty new to Late models, but it seems the S7 does free the car a bit it has been excellent on grippy and patchy tracks steers well, and on drier tracks seems very Right front dependent. If you can keep it way down on the nose it works well in slick too. If your smackdown doesn't steer confidently this deal works well for that. Ours is an '08 square smackdown. Just won $2500 saturday on a slick track so it can do slick too

Matt49
06-13-2012, 10:11 AM
The biggest difference I noticed was driveability. Prior to the S7, when the track was still fast, if I didn't get the car set in the corner just right I really had to fight it from the center off. For example, if I didn't get in quite hard enough and the car was to straight at the center of the corner, I would have to yank the wheel and stand on it to get it to turn again through the center.
If I make the same entry mistake with the S7 front end, I just give the wheel a little twist and on around she goes. Doesn't matter if I'm on the gas, on the brake, or rolling through the center.
I like my car a little straighter on entry than most which makes us good in the slick but was killing us when it was fast. The S7 helped that a bunch.
I've sense gotten a lot more aggressive in the heavy stuff and it is still very responsive to steering input.

HuckleberryB4
07-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Matt hit the nail on the head!