PDA

View Full Version : raw fuel burn..

dirtracer119
06-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Well seems im burning a good flame out of my exhaust when i enter the corners and stays constant till i have exit the corners. I am running a Willie ally carb.. jetted as low as it goes.. any thoughts?.. thanks..

Graff Spee
06-10-2012, 05:42 PM
more timing.

powerslide
06-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Willys makes two diff metering blocks. I would check and make sure you have the leaner of the two. Also what kind of pump and bypass do you have answer this before u buy new metering blocks

joeltjen
06-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Well seems im burning a good flame out of my exhaust when i enter the corners and stays constant till i have exit the corners. I am running a Willie ally carb.. jetted as low as it goes.. any thoughts?.. thanks..

i know of a couple engine buiders up here that wont use a willys any more, cant get them lean enough. they have gotten brand new carbs from willys and still cant get air/fuel ratios or exhaust temps where they want them. if ya start looking around on the internet you'll see a lot of willys for sale.........coincidence????? oh, and of course they will all tell ya they worked great!?!?!?!???

fyi i've never used a willys, got a braswell myself and had the opposite problem of getting it rich enough!

are you sure you're not pulling fuel over the top of the bowls out the vent tube????? have seen some guys "tie" the two tubes together with a piece of hose with holes punched in it so it can still vent. also you might try a little experimenting with different air cleaner bases and tops ;)

usafracer
06-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Gas or alky

dirtracer119
06-11-2012, 12:35 AM
more timing.

36 degree timing

dirtracer119
06-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Gas or alky

Alky slick..

dirtracer119
06-11-2012, 12:54 AM
i know of a couple engine buiders up here that wont use a willys any more, cant get them lean enough. they have gotten brand new carbs from willys and still cant get air/fuel ratios or exhaust temps where they want them. if ya start looking around on the internet you'll see a lot of willys for sale.........coincidence????? oh, and of course they will all tell ya they worked great!?!?!?!???

fyi i've never used a willys, got a braswell myself and had the opposite problem of getting it rich enough!

are you sure you're not pulling fuel over the top of the bowls out the vent tube????? have seen some guys "tie" the two tubes together with a piece of hose with holes punched in it so it can still vent. also you might try a little experimenting with different air cleaner bases and tops ;)

You know i had a Wilson angled spacer.. Called Willie tech center and told mehe didn't care for them.. so i asked what he suggested.. got the 2" spacer.. Tried it.. Same effect.. well another thing i learned i took the carb off today.. and i slightly tiped it and fuel will come out of the carb. So as im setting the mod for corner entry, that fuel is running in.. hum.. im sure fuel is also coming through the vents as well.. i have as braswell, and never had this problem.. so that's going back on.. And im sending the Willie back so they can look thru it..

adamsraceshocks
06-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Have you checked needle and seats? sounds like floats may be to high?

joeltjen
06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Have you checked needle and seats? sounds like floats may be to high?

good point! on my braswell seems as though if you can see where the needle rests on the arm of the float, its enough of a "defect" for the float to catch on the needle and not seat. if you run on rough tracks i think this could happen in as little as 10 nights. i just touch mine up with a very fine file and some scotchbright

dynoman14
06-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Joe,
If you run on rough tracks and your Braswell runs better it is proabably because Dave runs weighted floats in most of his dirt stuff. There are other ways of achieving float stability and that is a good one.

You might need a modified needle and seat package to calm things down.

If you can't find something that works I try to keep 10-20 sets built up always and have them to ship out same day as charge card, paypal or check clears.

You can PM me if you need some help.