PDA

View Full Version : Trans Problems

clark
06-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Ok I need some help. We are just getting walked away from out of every corner. We are running a saginaw 3 speed that is supposed to be 1.68 in 2nd gear. We run a 3.74 rear end. Which puts us at 6.26 total. This is the same gear every guy running up front runs..but we have no pull off the corners. We thought it had to be in the motor so we changed everything you can think of. The motor runs great and pulls hard. Everyone behind us at the start of each race is saying it has to be something wrong with your gearing, we can hear your motor spinning up but it seems like it is in your gear. So I pulled the tranny out and when i spin the input shaft one revolution, the output shaft will spin roughly between 1/2 and 3/4 of a turn. That is correct for a 1.68 right? So i pulled the side cover and the gear cluster has 21 and 14 teeth on each gear for 2nd gear. Is that how many it is supposed to have? Did a previous owner possibly change something? The casting numbers off the side cover are GM53919365..and the number on the plate below the cover is s8m19. Do I actually have a different tranny and I'm just a retard for thinking it is a saginaw? At this point I dont know what else we can do aside from putting a higher ration tranny in it. We run a 3/8 mile supposed to be turning 6800ish. Lets hear it guys, I promise you won't hurt my feelings by giving any advice you can think of. Sorry for the crazy long post..just aggravated at this point.

Clark #6

Dirtman29
06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Ok I need some help. We are just getting walked away from out of every corner. We are running a saginaw 3 speed that is supposed to be 1.68 in 2nd gear. We run a 3.74 rear end. Which puts us at 6.26 total. This is the same gear every guy running up front runs..but we have no pull off the corners. We thought it had to be in the motor so we changed everything you can think of. The motor runs great and pulls hard. Everyone behind us at the start of each race is saying it has to be something wrong with your gearing, we can hear your motor spinning up but it seems like it is in your gear. So I pulled the tranny out and when i spin the input shaft one revolution, the output shaft will spin roughly between 1/2 and 3/4 of a turn. That is correct for a 1.68 right? So i pulled the side cover and the gear cluster has 21 and 14 teeth on each gear for 2nd gear. Is that how many it is supposed to have? Did a previous owner possibly change something? The casting numbers off the side cover are GM53919365..and the number on the plate below the cover is s8m19. Do I actually have a different tranny and I'm just a retard for thinking it is a saginaw? At this point I dont know what else we can do aside from putting a higher ration tranny in it. We run a 3/8 mile supposed to be turning 6800ish. Lets hear it guys, I promise you won't hurt my feelings by giving any advice you can think of. Sorry for the crazy long post..just aggravated at this point.

Clark #6If you have 21 & 14 teeth in 2nd, you only have a 1.50 2nd gear. This would put your final @ 5.61. Thats why youre getting smoked off the corners! Count the grooves on the trans input shaft, will be 0,1,2,or 3 groove. That will identify your trans & ratios.

clark
06-11-2012, 11:01 PM
That was my thoguht when I counted them. I has 0 grooves on the input shaft though which is why I believed it was 168...that would explain it though if that is the case...

dirty white boy
06-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Saginaw 3-speed 1st 2nd 3rd
No Lines (grooves) 2.85 1.68 1.00
1 Line 2.54 1.50 1.00
2 Lines 3.11 1.84 1.00
3 Lines 3.50 1.89 1.00

id say sombody swapped out the imput shaft ....

clark
06-12-2012, 01:37 AM
So how many teeth are supposed to be on each gear on the main shaft and the cluster? Has anyone checked this and knows?