PDA

View Full Version : Corner entry setup "driver"

jsf74
06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
How is everyone setting themselve up to get their car car into the corner. I've been told two different ways and am trying to get a handle on this car. I started the year sawing the wheel and mashing the brakes to get the car to rotate. I learned the hard way that wasant working. Then I was told to drive all the way into the corner blip the throttle and right back into it. The car is a ton faster but I'm having a hard time holding my line coming off. I took last week off just to watch and noticed some of the faster guys getting out of it a lot earlier and coasting into the corner then back in the gas when the car starts to rotate. Going to try this next weekend but was wondering what everyone else is doing.

ask0329
06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Nice post. I've been working on this exact same thing. I only have about 15 races in the seat on my imca. I had been going with the quick stab of the brake method and that really sets the car. I've been told thats asphalt driveing and I need to get away from doing that. What I've found to help the most was really watching the cars ahead of me, where they let off. Use their marks and adjust from there where to let off the gas. set up helps a ton. We finally got a decent setup under the car and it started working allot better last race. I am curious to hear some more comments on driving styles.

bluemod
06-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I only have 10 races under my belt and i was having the same problems. Just like that was stated above during heat laps get behind someone that is a good driver and does well. I done this 3 weeks and a row and started doing alot better. Good luck

dirttrackrocker
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
If the cars is set up right, it should take a natural set when you let out and start to enter the corner.

ask0329
06-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Kevin, yeah my car is finally starting to do that and work right. I'm fine in turns 3 and 4 as its the rounded D turns but turn 1 and 2 are really tough as its such a sharp left. I attatched a link to an overhead view but I'm sure you've seen it before. Something for the other guys to take a look at I guess.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=brewerton+speedway&view=detail&id=8D4977ECFA451D8C589C524AF46D3C08F16813F8&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

powerslide
06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Those types of tracks are really a drivers track because you arent going to get the car good for both ends. You have to learn to use the brakes/trail brake to make it work on both ends. I love d shaped tracks

dualdj1
06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I think the biggest problem that new drivers tend to have is going in too hard. Slower is sometimes faster. If you go in too hard you can scrub a ton of speed, and then you end up picking up the throttle late or braking too much to set/adjust. But there's a balance, you definitely need to find a good mark, to where you're not pushing the front end through the corner, and can pick up throttle at a good point to build solid exit speed. Obviously watching the long time locals is a good way to start.

now, if you get to the point where you're consistently carrying good speed through and out of the corner (ie passing or at least not being passed in the corner), and having trouble staying on your line out of the corner, then you need to look at your on-throttle corner exit handling setup.

johnny v
06-12-2012, 04:31 PM
my driver likes to run up to the cushion and turn the car with the throttle pedal.... I cannot for the life of me get him to drive it in straight in the middle and let it rotate......

Dirt track rocker: would spring split slightly stiffer on the LF than RF help promote an easier rotation?

dirttrackrocker
06-12-2012, 04:50 PM
my driver likes to run up to the cushion and turn the car with the throttle pedal.... I cannot for the life of me get him to drive it in straight in the middle and let it rotate......

Dirt track rocker: would spring split slightly stiffer on the LF than RF help promote an easier rotation?

Yes, a lot of people are going this route now.