PDA

View Full Version : Generic setup question

W2racing
06-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi guys. I see alot of guys say that factory setup specs assume an 800hp engine. If you only have 600hp, what kind of changes to the factory specs would you anticipate for a baseline setup? We currently run an 04 MB Smackdown, but I've seen this statement referring to other brands as well.

restad4r
06-12-2012, 10:43 PM
In my experience, whenever we had a lower hp engine, we always needed the car to be more free throughout the corner, it seemed like we always need a softer than advertised left front spring, a stiffer rf spring, more stagger less j bar. etc. My two cents, maybe we were different, but that was just our experience. The older rocket set up books had a crate set-up that reflected this as well.

Ant

Matt49
06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Nothing wrong with what restad4r said.
On our smack car with a crate motor , the biggest thing different from "baseline" is that we are higher by a click or two on the pinion side of the j-bar.

dualdj1
06-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Nothing wrong with what restad4r said.
On our smack car with a crate motor , the biggest thing different from "baseline" is that we are higher by a click or two on the pinion side of the j-bar.

And if you're running on a tight corner track, and want the car to roll over more to help it turn better through (more roll steer), just go down on the frame instead of up on the pinion. take rake out regardless.

drtrkr244
06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Generally, those setups are run on open tire rules.

I had a customer with 06,07,and 08 Smack.We found the best setup was the "Local Saturday Night" right from the website.

We believed the difference was the tires as we were on a 21,55 rule.