PDA

View Full Version : SAS Late Models reset for Talladega and BJ Parker Memorial on Saturday June 23rd

RadioMan
06-15-2012, 02:55 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SAS Late Models reset for Talladega and BJ Parker Memorial on Saturday June 23rd

HUNTSVILLE, AL (June 15, 2012)—The Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series will try again to complete the BJ Parker Memorial at the Talladega Short Track on Saturday Night June 23rd.

The event was scheduled for June 9th but the threat and eventual heavy rains postponed the event to Saturday June 23rd.

This visit by SAS on June 23rd will be a sentimental one at that. It will be to honor the man who created and ran a successful campaign of dirt Late Models in the South from 1983 until he sold the series to Tennessee businessmen Charles Roberts and David Miller in 2004. B.J. Parker passed away in April of 2011 after a battle with breast cancer, he was 78. Parker was a 2002 Inductee into the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame located in Florence, KY. Parker had also started the Southern All Stars Asphalt Series in 1989 which later sold and in 2009 founded the Southern Super Stars Short Track Series which still runs events.

Current General Manager Lynn Acklin reflected recently on what Mr. Parker meant to him. “I started with B.J. doing the asphalt series and then in 1999 he told me he was not going to travel as much and I was put in charge of the series. I did not know that much about dirt racing, but I learned as I went along and B.J. taught me how to treat and do business with people the way they want to do business,” said Acklin.

Mr. Acklin also flips back to the status of today and where the series is headed. “I can say today that with the new owners we are returning to the way's B J had me do the series and that was giving the promoters a good product at a fair price and still to this day 90% of the race deals are done still with handshakes, that is the B.J. Parker way,” continued Acklin.

After Parker’s death last year, NASCAR’s Chairman Brian France even reflected on his time spent with Parker before his active career in the nation’s premier touring circuit, "B.J. Parker was an innovative promoter and a friend to all those who were part of the Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series," France said. "I spent time around him when I first was getting into NASCAR and he taught me a lot about short track racing. He was a terrific man who never met a stranger."

The SAS Late Models will run at ‘The Hornet’s Nest’ for a $3,500 to win / $300 to start event which will include a complete show of Practice, VP Racing Fuels Time Trials, Hoosier Racing Tire Last Chance races and the 50-lap main. All supporting divisions will also be on the racing card that night including the Sportsman, Crate Late Models, Thunder Cars, Street Stocks and Hot Shots.

Several of longtime sponsors and friends of the Southern All Stars are putting in lap money toward the event in honor of Mr. Parker and as of right now there is a $1,200 bonus on the line for the leader of lap 42. That was the number of the race cars that B.J. raced in his career around the southeast and many of his longtime friends decided that they would put the extra lap money on that number so the winner could possibly leave with a $4,700 or more. Lap money sponsors are still available and can be purchased by calling Lynn Phillips at Talladega Short Track at (256) 454-5414.

“Many of the former Southern All Star Dirt Racing Series Champions are expected to be in attendance as well as some who will also be competing in the event for the night, so we would like all the fans that have supported the Southern All Stars over the past 30 years to come out and help make this one of the best nights of racing this year” stated long-time General Manager and friend to Parker Lynn Acklin.

During the series’ last visit to Talladega back on May 5th, William Thomas of Phenix City, AL would claim his second career SAS Late Model win and $3,500 in a thrilling race win over Georgia’s Jake Knowles and Kentucky’s Brandon Kinzer.

On Saturday June 23, the pit and grandstand gates will swing open at 5:00 p.m. with the Drivers Meeting at 6:30 p.m. then Hot Laps are slated for 7:00 p.m. all times CDT. Adult Grandstand Admission is $15.00 with children nine and under admitted Free. Pit Passes will be $30.00.

The Southern All Stars have hosted six events so far with five different event winners. Randy Weaver of Crossville, TN is the only driver to take back-to-back wins so far this season coming on May 26th at Whynot (MS) Motorsports Park and Magnolia (MS) Motor Speedway. Weaver also leads the SAS points by 76 markers over Friendsville, TN driver Mike Weeks who also leads the Rookie of the Year standings.

Southern All Stars $3,500 to win Purse: 1) $3500, 2) $1600, 3) $1000, 4) $750, 5) $650, 6) $550, 7) $525, 8) $500, 9) $450, 10) $425, 11) $375, 12) $350, 13) $325, 14) $300, 15) $300, 16) $300, 17) $300, 18) $300, 19) $300, 20) $300, 21) $300, 22) $300, 23) $300, 24) $300.

The Talladega Short Track is located 4343 Speedway Boulevard in Eastaboga, AL 36260. Further information can be obtained by calling the Speedway at (256) 831-1413 or by logging on to www.talladegashorttrack.com .

Further information on the Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series can be obtained by calling General Manager Lynn Acklin at (256) 509-6603 or PR/Race Director Chris Tilley at (606) 219-1723 or you can log on to the official series website at www.sasdirt.com . Also, check the Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series on Facebook or on Twitter @SASDIRT.

2012 Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series Sponsors
*Hoosier Racing Tire “The Official Tire” of the Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series
*VP Racing Fuels “The Official Fuel” of the Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series
*Arizona Sport Shirts “The Official Merchandise Vendor” of the Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series

2012 Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series Supporters Include: Schaeffer’s Oil by Elaine White, Gotta Race, AR Bodies, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Cruise with the Champions, MSR Mafia and H3 Performance Graphics.

Current Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series Championship Standings: (after 5/27)
1. Randy Weaver-512 (Crossville, TN)
2. Mike Weeks-436 (Friendsville, TN)
3. Shan Smith-378 (Dade City, FL)
4. William Thomas-338 (Phenix City, AL)
5. Billy Ogle Jr.-286 (Knoxville, TN)
6. Dylan Ames-254 (Harvest, AL)
7. Ray Cook-248 (Brasstown, NC)
8. Chad Ogle-230 (Sevierville, TN)
8. Riley Hickman-230 (Chattanooga, TN)
8. Skip Arp-230 (Georgetown, TN)

Current Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series Rookie of the Year Championship Standings: (after 5/27)
1. Mike Weeks-436 (Friendsville, TN)
2. Shan Smith-378 (Dade City, FL)
3. Ross White-200 (Knoxville, TN)

2012 Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series event winners:
April 7-Jimmy Owens-Newport, TN (Cleveland Speedway)
April 14-Vic Hill-Mosheim, TN (Smoky Mountain Speedway)
May 5-William Thomas-Phenix City, AL (Talladega Short Track)
May 12-Skip Arp-Georgetown, TN (Cleveland Speedway)
May 26-Randy Weaver-Crossville, TN (Whynot Motorsports Park)
May 27-Randy Weaver-Crossville, TN (Magnolia Motor Speedway)

Upcoming Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series events:
June 16-Smoky Mountain Speedway-Maryville, TN-$5,000 to win ‘Big Daddy 500’
June 9-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$3,500+ to win ‘BJ Parker Memorial’
July 14-Cleveland Speedway-Cleveland, TN-$3,500 to win
July 28-Talladega Short Track-Eastaboga, AL-$5,400 to win ‘Michael Head Jr. Memorial’

RadioMan
06-21-2012, 05:48 AM
This Saturday Night June 23rd!