PDA

View Full Version : Steel or aluminum motor mounts?

goiong broke
06-17-2012, 06:02 PM
What are most of you guys using aluminum or steel motor mounts on your aluminum motors ? Thx

sj valley dave
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
We have steel mounts on our aluminum engine...

dirty white boy
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
ive seen the aluminum ones twist an bend on a stock block super street car...

racin6mod
06-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I would use the alum. mounts as in a wreck they would be more likely to break or bend much better/cheaper than breaking the mounts off the side of the block.

mab475
06-19-2012, 06:44 AM
I've seen to many aluminum mounts crack or twist. Been running steel mounts on aluminum motors for 10-12 years with no problems.(Was in the lightweight phase like everybody else back then and one thing for sure is lightweight is great but only if it works and doesn't fail)

FlatTire
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
I use aluminum because they will deform a lot more than steel when you get in a wreck. I would rather have the mount deform/crack than the engine block.

Never had a problem with cracking but maybe thats because I replace mine every 2 years or so. Aluminum has a lot shorter fatigue life than steel.

sj valley dave
06-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm sure it's happened, but whenever I've seen a hard hit, the engine mounts on the frame will bend/break before the bosses on the aluminum block break and thats why we have always run steel...

cswitch11
08-03-2012, 03:54 AM
I use aluminum because they will deform a lot more than steel when you get in a wreck. I would rather have the need to buy motor mounts (http://www.drivewire.com/part/engine-parts/motor-mount/) deform/crack than the engine block.

Never had a problem with cracking but maybe thats because I replace mine every 2 years or so. Aluminum has a lot shorter fatigue life than steel.

^ I do agree. And personally, I like to have a setup to have as strong of thermal connection as possible to the motor, so it can also act as a heatsink. Aluminum would do a better job than of steel.