PDA

View Full Version : LR Stack vs. Conventional spring

TWISTER
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Read several post on this, but was just wondering if this question would help keep it more simple and helpful for me.........Would it be fair and safe to say to use the stack(400/200)LR spring when it is dry or starting to dry out, and there is less traction in the track, and use the conventional spring when there is more traction in the track?
Thank you.

restad4r
06-20-2012, 08:47 AM
The only reason to stack the lr spring is to get a softer rate. Your two spring combind (400/200)make a 133 lb spring. You couldn't get that soft with one spring without causing problems. As a general rule, a softer lr spring promotes lr hike and keeps the car hiked up longer, but when and where to soften it depends on your situation. my 2 cents.

Ant

TWISTER
06-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I understand the concept behind the spring, how to calculate the rate, the "stored energy" concept and all that. I was more just trying to see if most people were using it in the "slick" and "dry" conditions as opposed to the more tractioned situations?

Thanks

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
I understand the concept behind the spring, how to calculate the rate, the "stored energy" concept and all that. I was more just trying to see if most people were using it in the "slick" and "dry" conditions as opposed to the more tractioned situations?

Thanks

Could be either. You use it if you think you need it. It has more to do with what the car is doing vs what you want it to do. Track configuration is more important than slick vs tacky.

lovinlatemodels
06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Masterbilt racer is right it's what you think you need i tried the stacked stuff and hated it but i also found tht a heavier LR spring always worked better for me. Set up, bar angles, % , roll centers, heck even you motor combo can effect your set up and what you need. Try it if you like it work with it if not stick with basic and work from there.

grt74
06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
if you know what your doing you can have the best of both worlds with this setup,weve been working on the stacked setups and stacked with a lock nut for 5 or 6 years now, it works and can be used everywhere on the car but if you dont have it right it will kill a race car,think about it,its really simple once you understand whats going on,i know people are going to ask for spring combos ect,like ive said on other posts on this subject, cant give it all away,the best way to understand whats going on is to get or borrow a spring/shock rater

jedclampit
06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Banking and type of corner are tops in my criteria for lr spring selection.

powerslide
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
masterS can you empty your mailbox

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
masterS can you empty your mailbox

Done...........................

PayinDaPurse
06-24-2012, 12:47 AM
I feel like its probably a simple answer but I am not understanding it. at our track a fast guy runs the dual stage LR spring combo with a Jam nut. I dont understand how this is working or what its doing for the car? I thought once car is on bars then its not really on the spring, correct?

Appreciate any comments, the track is a fast momentum 1/2 mile that kicks up dust in hot laps/heats and the place to pass is around the bottom. can PM me if dont want to post on here.

Thank you

Matt49
06-24-2012, 10:34 AM
I feel like its probably a simple answer but I am not understanding it. at our track a fast guy runs the dual stage LR spring combo with a Jam nut. I dont understand how this is working or what its doing for the car? I thought once car is on bars then its not really on the spring, correct?

Appreciate any comments, the track is a fast momentum 1/2 mile that kicks up dust in hot laps/heats and the place to pass is around the bottom. can PM me if dont want to post on here.

Thank you

The idea when using the jam nut is to put the jam nut right up against the slider at ride height so that you are using the soft combined spring rate as the car goes up on the bars. This enhances hike up. But then when the car sits down it won't slam down as hard because it will be on just the primary spring once it falls to ride height.
If everybody would just learn how to trail brake it would be a non-issue :-)
Just kidding (kind of)...in reality even someone who is a good trail braker and can keep the car up on the bars on entry is going to have times (like in lapped traffic) when you have to suddenly dump it getting into the corner. Slamming the car down on that soft spring gets the car really tight on entry and then you have to hustle if from the center off to get it to turn which kills forward bite.