PDA

View Full Version : clamping a 4 bar left and right? one or the other?

dukesracin
06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Just reading the racers edge books and the 4bar book explains clamping one or both sides and the advantages in a stop and go track or extremely slick track.

My first year in mod, we have a good 05 shaw, 4 bar, LR spring behind on a slider, RR coil over in front, 650# L/R front and #175 LR and #150 RR.

I am battling a loose car on entry which makes for awful corner speed, we started with #20 of LR bite w/o driver and will try #40 this week and add more if it is better.

Wanted to get some opinions on clamping, techniques, do and do nots etc.

Thanks

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Clamping means attaching the spring to the axle tube instead of the birdcage. Clamping in front on the lr loads that wheel when the driver picks up the gas. This used to be very common on late models and modifieds. It can be hard to be smooth with this setup as the lr tends to drop hard if you are not smooth and trail brake coming off the gas.

If you are adventurous, try clamping the rr behind the axle and the lr in front of the axle. That should make it pretty tight.

dukesracin
06-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Clamping means attaching the spring to the axle tube instead of the birdcage. Clamping in front on the lr loads that wheel when the driver picks up the gas. This used to be very common on late models and modifieds. It can be hard to be smooth with this setup as the lr tends to drop hard if you are not smooth and trail brake coming off the gas.

If you are adventurous, try clamping the rr behind the axle and the lr in front of the axle. That should make it pretty tight.

Sounds like something going back in technology?????
But hey I still might try it and see how i like it, thanks for the help!

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Sounds like something going back in technology?????
But hey I still might try it and see how i like it, thanks for the help!

I only help on mods from time to time, but I think the lr clamp deal like all the Pierce cars used to have could still win a lot of races.