PDA

View Full Version : Straigth panhard bar on spring behind four bar car

modman1010
06-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Whats everyones thoughts on this? Seen a guy runnin it and thinking about trying it? what should i expect and what should i change when switching to the straight bar from the jbar?

CHRISTINE
06-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I tried it this past weekend and with 6" of split at about 14 degrees on a 25 c/c bar the rear end moved to the left 2 1/2 inches more than my 20" j bar with 5 " of split and moved the rr tire into the four link mounts.

dualdj1
06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
straight bar is faster acting than j-bar. advantage to straight bar is that it helps with body roll the lower you go with it, and also adds forward drive. but, as mentioned, it can move the axle more left. Though if you're getting into the mounts, you are using too short of a bar or have your initial settings wrong. We set our straight bar to keep the axle in same position as the j-bar at ride height. If you have problems getting into the mount, lengthen it, and rescale.

Disadvantage to straight bar, is that if you're on a rough track, or in traffic where you have to get in/out of throttle, it can be pretty erratic. but on smooth tracks and if you're smooth on the throttle, or stay in it, it can be a big advantage, and give you a lower roll center as well as put more dynamic weight on LR. Have a couple mod friends that run it and love it, and we have good luck with it on the LM.

Also remember on setting the straight bar, if you run more rake, your axle will move less as you hike. less rake = more movement. we started off at about 8" split on the LM, with an 11" bar. More rake also means faster acting though, as more force can be applied. You need to play around and find that sweet spot that your car likes. In general, start with less rake and higher mounting points (highest on the pinion, and appropriate frame location). As the night goes and track slicks, move down on both mounting points, clear to the bottom on pinion for real slick. and then either keep rake same or increase as feels best for you.

CHRISTINE
06-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Im sorry we tried the long bar behind the rear end the rear end not to the left of pinion.