PDA

View Full Version : chaining the lr down

bluemod
06-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Can someone please explain on where to start with chaining the lr. This seem to be the thing and am wanting to try it. Should I go from the frame to the bird cage or to the axle housein its self. How do i measure the chain to make sure everything is right. This is a grt car. If you could just explain how to do this. thanks

Darkstar15
06-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Measure the drop of left rear from sitting at ride height to jacking the car up in front of LR until the tire is just off ground. What you will measure is the difference in the chain length. We use from 4 inch drop to 4 3/4 in drop. You can also measure LUB angle as it will change as the drop changes. We measure from top of birdcage to frame rail directly above it. This is on a Shaw car.

John

dirttrackrocker
06-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Chain it so the LRU bar can't go past 45 degrees.

johnny v
06-29-2012, 09:30 PM
don't hook it to the BC...... you can buy a floated chain hook up for the housing or make a 2 piece floated piece for the housing ( a bolt together piece for the housing means you don't have to pull the hub and BC to place it on the housing)....

bluemod
06-29-2012, 09:40 PM
So does the chain limit roll steer. Do you have to change bar angles or anything else besides add the chain and try it?

johnny v
06-29-2012, 09:56 PM
So does the chain limit roll steer. Do you have to change bar angles or anything else besides add the chain and try it?

basically, yes, it limits hike and that limits roll steer......and it keeps you from using the LR shock as the limiter...or if you have an under-rail car, the frame rail hitting the housing as the limiter...

the guts of your LR shock like limit chains....

bluemod
07-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Just to give you all some feedback. Chaining the rear down like that gave me alot more drive coming off. As soon as the chain catches you can stand on the gas and go. Thanks for the info tightened the car up a little but this was what i was needing.

johnny v
07-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Just to give you all some feedback. Chaining the rear down like that gave me alot more drive coming off. As soon as the chain catches you can stand on the gas and go. Thanks for the info tightened the car up a little but this was what i was needing.

your probably feeling this:
sometimes if you have too much hike.... your using energy to push the frame up, not drive it forward.... limiting hike will put the drive forward... not up...