PDA

View Full Version : Wheel offset affect?

jsf74
07-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Im looking for a easy change for when the track slicks off after the heats. In the rr I run a 3" offset wheel. What will a 4" do to the car? Im trying to avoid making too many changes while i learn to drive. Also the same question for stagger in the rr?

jsf74
07-01-2012, 11:21 PM
From my understanding less offset in rr will loosen car as well as more stagger, correct? Are these good changes to make for what I'm trying to do?

dualdj1
07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
RR more to the outside = less weight on rr, which effectively gives you more cross. also softens RR spring rate, by moving contact point further from spring mounting point. when we ran rr spaced out it freed it in and middle, but can also tighten exit. so going with less offset (opposite effects) should tighten in/through, but can loosen exit. We had better luck with running lr spacer in slick (or more LR offset)

johnny v
07-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Im looking for a easy change for when the track slicks off after the heats. In the rr I run a 3" offset wheel. What will a 4" do to the car? Im trying to avoid making too many changes while i learn to drive. Also the same question for stagger in the rr?

IMHO
run 3 to 3.5" of stagger all the time.....
buy a couple of 1" spacers..... put one on the RR for heat.... after heat... pull it off RR and put it on LR.... take the other one and put it on the RF....

bluemod
07-02-2012, 05:51 PM
i have a spacers on the lf and rr so if i would switch them around it would tighten the car up for the feature instead of moving bars or adding bite. Track does not change alot between heat to feature for us.

dualdj1
07-03-2012, 09:36 AM
IMHO
buy a couple of 1" spacers..... put one on the RR for heat.... after heat... pull it off RR and put it on LR.... take the other one and put it on the RF....

I'd agree with that too

imca90
07-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I was always told your not suppised to use spacers on the front.

jsf74
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Can u explain why other than leverage on the hub?

johnny v
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
I was always told your not suppised to use spacers on the front.

ok, pull the 3 " offset off and replace the wheel with a 2"..... What's the difference?
Maybe before everyone went to the 5/8 lug bolts....... that might have been true.....for wheel load and such......

imca90
07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I dont know i never understood it either.

dualdj1
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
changing offset changes the amount of suspension travel. so you either get more or less dynamic change in geometry based on the increase/decrease. I believe it's less offset (wheel in closer) is more change/travel, more offset (wheel out more) is less travel. Not necessarily a bad thing, just have to keep it in mind.

1Blacksheep
07-08-2012, 12:28 PM
When changing rear offset dont forget to adjust stagger slightly also. A thing called stagger ratio.