PDA

View Full Version : Is a Big Cub 18* Open Motor enough

lcpestka
07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Is a big 420 or 430 18* motor enough to be competative in open tire latemodle racing anywhere on D55 stuff?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
For sure. Your biggest disadvantage will be that it won't be as smooth as some of the newer stuff. You will certainly have plenty of power for almost any track.

perfconn
07-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Not sure on your question since you said open tires then D55.Not disagreeing with Masterbilt but you might be at a disadvantage at a big track like Eldora.Like he said though,most of the time on hard tires you will be ok.Smoothness is all in using the right cam,rocker and head combination.Not all 18* packages are the same.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-06-2012, 07:34 AM
I was going by the D55 and ignoring the rare places like Eldora. You can win with significantly less on small bullrings.

lcpestka
07-06-2012, 07:42 AM
The question is really for me, can you be competative if you run some UMP stuff in Illinios if you stay on 3/8 or 4/10s stuff. There is an open seris in Iowa called the Corn Belt Clash and I know that I could be competative in that seris, but there are some show else where that would be fun to run and not sure if a guy could compete with the 18* stuff. The other question is do you need a alluminum block?

perfconn
07-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Aluminum blocks are not necessary if you are good on setups but if you have a heavy car they are helpful to run minium weight.

dualdj1
07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
On short tracks, big ci engines are great, if, as stated by Perf, they are setup right, for a nice torque curve. you'll get a higher average torque with more ci, which is better for stop n go. aluminum block just allows you to move your ballast around more, without going much over weight limit (again stated by perf). On the IL tracks we've run, we've had better luck with big CI engines, but also run open tires.

zeroracing
07-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Corn belt clash is similar to mlra, you will be fine, motor will not be an issue. You will need good shocks and fresh tires. Get the best shocks and most new tires you can afford. Guys in these series that claim you must have more power are throwing an excuse up for lack of car or driver.

perfconn
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Not familar with the Cornbelt Clash but have years of experience down south on hard tires.Its very true that its not about having the biggest engines.Its also true that you need a smooth engine built for hard tire racing.In a 9 inch deck block I never have used over a 3.750 stroke with a 6.125 rod.Best 18* heads have been the Edelbrocks that were Chapman ported.I have built some Brodix 18* 406ci that the drivers said were impossible to drive.Its all about being smooth on hard tires.

clm15
07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Check these babys out. Real smooth power,and lots of HP.
http://www.thebmfstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=20268

Jet Jockey
07-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Kevin Weaver is at the top of the UMP national points championship. He has run all but 350 laps this year with two 18* headed engines, one 400 ci and one 415 ci. These engines were original Pro Power but over the years he has been doing the majority of engine work himself. I was a little skeptical that they would be good enough, but for the majority of Illinois tracks (discounting Fairbury when they have poured the water to it) they have gotten the job done. He always wants more and has two 13* ready to go but I have become a believer.

let-r-eat
07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
No matter the degree you need a good smooth power plant. I've seen some old 23* engines that you couldn't drive. 18* engine is plenty and in all honesty several of these guys out there today would be better served getting away from these crazy radical engines and concentrate on something you can drive.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Kevin Weaver is at the top of the UMP national points championship. He has run all but 350 laps this year with two 18* headed engines, one 400 ci and one 415 ci. These engines were original Pro Power but over the years he has been doing the majority of engine work himself. I was a little skeptical that they would be good enough, but for the majority of Illinois tracks (discounting Fairbury when they have poured the water to it) they have gotten the job done. He always wants more and has two 13* ready to go but I have become a believer.

Sometimes it can be darned hard to hook up 550. You sure don't need 900. Give me 700 smooth horse power and I will be happy most of the time.

dualdj1
07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Sometimes it can be darned hard to hook up 550. You sure don't need 900. Give me 700 smooth horse power and I will be happy most of the time.

some places the big HP helps for qualifying. But then most times for racing it's way overkill. I found this setup when poking around at decreasing HP...

http://www.restrictorplate.com/

surprising they don't really deal with dirt track at all, seems a real nice way to tune the car easily for track conditions (HP wise).

Matt49
07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Then the real question becomes, what are the keys to ensuring you have a smooth power curve?
I realize it's a matter of matching air/fuel flow with cam but are there any magic numbers that are "common knowledge" out there?
We've considered trying to build our own 23 degree stuff but have shied away from it for this reason. Don't want to spend a bunch of money and end up with 600 or so completely undriveable horsepower.

perfconn
07-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Matt,
There are no magic numbers but there are some numbers that you need to be close on.Carburetor cfm,intake manifold size,intake runner cc,camshaft lift and duration at. 050 and. 200,rocker arm ratio,compression ratio,rod to stroke ratio are all important but they differ for different cubic inches.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
If you want to put together something real common like a 406 with 6" rods and a common set of 23 degree heads, pretty much any decent cam guy can sell you the right cam.

sj valley dave
07-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Mike Jones @ Jones cams is good to work with and will listen on what you are asking for...