PDA

View Full Version : Steel braided brake lines

FF21
07-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Looking for opinions on this....Thinking of running steel braided brake lines in the drivers area then hard lines outside the drivers area.If I run them in the drivers area it will only be 3 lines less than 20" long and they will be #3.Thanks Rick

Graff Spee
07-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Why don't you just run plastic lines? Faster, cheaper and I have never seen a problem with them. Just throwin that out there.

zeroracing
07-07-2012, 12:54 PM
I run hard lines as much as possible. Plastic are junk and won't be on my car.

I have seen them burn through on welding spark.
Helped a guy that was leading a 3k to win mod show and blew one out.
They are not as good as steel.

I run hard line, then as short of flex line I can, replace flex line yearly or if any kinks show up.

Steel is a safe bet. That said a good quality braided in the cab should be ok, not needed unless you switch master cylinders front to rear often, which seen people do. If your putting them in and leaving them then run steel hard cheaper and fool proof.

Egoracing
07-08-2012, 01:46 PM
99% of ALL stainless flex lines have the same plastic inside that is used in the plastic kits, it just has a loose stainless praid over the outside as protection. If you run it in your cars and think about protecting it, it is just as good and MUCH easier to fix at the track if something does happen.

Graff Spee
07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
A line splice or other repair takes seconds to do. We use zip ties to hold it all. I built a car in the mid 90's that still has the same lines on it and they are fine. To each his own though. They are much much lighter than steel lines. That must be why they are a hit in sprint cars.

Egoracing
07-08-2012, 09:47 PM
\ That must be why they are a hit in sprint cars.

Sprints have breaks????

Just pokin a little fun at them.

Graff Spee
07-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Sprints have breaks????

Just pokin a little fun at them.

Good point! I guess they just use them to stop, not race!!! LOL

hammond
07-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Rick. All of my cars I build and run have a 10" braided line from the master to the steel lines.I also run a line per wheel so there are no tees in the lines .And at the braided line to the steel line is a good place to put a quick disconnect .

I have ran # 3 lines but have gone back to # 4. Just in case you have a problem at the track and then you have a std size line and fittings.