PDA

View Full Version : firewall for engine set back

thundermug
07-07-2012, 09:19 PM
help Can any one tell us easest way to recess firewall for engine set back we can move engine back till no1 plug is even with left hand ball joint on a 350 chevy we have an 86 metric car, pondering if cut the firewall and weld in a spacer or cut body 6 inches and move it back
thanks in advance for your replies

ToddSmith16
07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
The engine set back doesn't gain you much....not worth it in my opinion. I race IMCA cars against UMP cars with the engine set back....no difference. It's not worth 0.3 % gain with rear percentage.

dirty white boy
07-08-2012, 12:16 AM
its defiantly worth it to move it,..easiest to move fire wall back or slide the hole body back an that help rear %s even more...

ToddSmith16
07-08-2012, 09:44 AM
When you put the set back in the car ....you cannot sell it to IMCA land....so doing it you have closed your selling market to UMP. I have sold IMCA cars in weeks and sat on a feature winning UMP car for a year. Do what you like but always be concerned about your investment. JMO! Again its not worth it....doing it isn't going to make you a winner...a lot of other factors are important than engine set back and moving the firewall!

thundermug
07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
we race at local track in north carolina most stocks are metric cars ,and the rules allow us to set engine back with no 1 spark plug across from upper ball joint

dirty white boy
07-09-2012, 11:22 PM
we race at local track in north carolina most stocks are metric cars ,and the rules allow us to set engine back with no 1 spark plug across from upper ball joint

yup,..thats the way the rules are at most tracks around north carolina...if you dont set yours back theres that much your giving up to everybody else...

cautrell05
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I set the motor in mine back so #2 was 2 inches ahead per the rules back then. I was a little dissapointed that the difference was only .3 or .4% but on the plus side I can change the starter out in 10 min without taking anything else loose. To me that was worth just as much as the small rearweight gain. If that's standard practice in your area why pass it up? Every little bit helps.

Nick

dirty white boy
07-10-2012, 03:17 PM
what NC tracks you wanting to run at??

thundermug
07-11-2012, 01:31 PM
probably carolina speedway maby thunder vally or cherokee have to see how it goes hope to ready for next year

thundermug
07-11-2012, 05:45 PM
carolina speedway,or thunder valley, maby cherokee