PDA

View Full Version : how to add drive from center off on the gas?

lpd1
07-10-2012, 12:22 AM
08 blue-grey rocket

what would you all say seems to be the best way to add traction from center off on the gas? i know there are alot of things that go into it. but just saying that if your car was perfect getting in and to the center of the corner but when you tried to pick up the gas the traction just was not there. i usally just drop the lr bottom rod 1 hole for the feature which puts me in the 2nd hole from the bottom and its bad ass, but this week it was even more slick than normal so i raise my lr top rod one hole which put it up in the 4th hole up with the shorter bracket and the car was horrible. ever thing else was the same as we allways do it were usally one of the best cars. i was affraid of putting the lr bottom rod in the bottom hole because i have never had to do it? because i had raise the lr top rod the the 4th hole it had my lr sping compressed some so i couldnt add any wedge to it. which i usually dont but i was going to because it was so slick. personal i think i would have been better off not raising the lr top rod and just adding wedge or lowering the lr bottom rod. or even clamping the dummy shock but i have not done that before either. thanks

Egoracing
07-10-2012, 06:29 AM
I would have dropped the LR bottom bar again. The books will tell you dropping the LR bottom bar on the chassis tightens the car thru the corner but what we found was it tightened it up form the center off on the gas and did little to nothing to entry.

latemodel86
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I like messing with the 5th shock/spring. It seems like to me, and I've had someone on here also agree with me on this, alot of your foward drive comes from the 5th. I would try somethin simple like adding rebound to the 5th shock when it goes to slick off. Should help you get in the throttle more and stay in it.

zeke23z
07-11-2012, 09:12 AM
What hole are you in with the 5th coil shock try moving it back if you can.

let-r-eat
07-11-2012, 05:31 PM
That's what I was going to ask. How far from the center of the rear is the fifth coil mounted? If you're just zinging the tires soon as you pick up the throttle and slow because you can't stay steady for peddling this is an area of interest for you. Move 5th coil back, stiffer spring, compression and rebound on the shock etc.

lpd1
07-11-2012, 05:40 PM
5th coil is in the 3rd hole from the back 35 1/2 i ran it all the way in the back last year then moved it forward some and it made it better. i have a 300 on it now. my tracks are blowing dust in hot laps but they dont take rubber. what how much stiffer shoudl i go on 5th coil spring?

grt74
07-11-2012, 09:11 PM
What tires are you on, there are alot of ways to do this,rear%,stagger,left side%,drive smoother the track only has so much grip,length of rr bars or lr bars,j bar (middle of corner),there is alot you can do,i guess the question is are you looking for a little or alot???

latemodel86
07-11-2012, 11:27 PM
I moved mine all the way up and softened the 5th spring to 175 and it made it to where I could stab my throttle and the car would stick and get a good drive off

grt74
07-12-2012, 07:38 PM
i agree the 5th coil will help but if you get to soft it will hurt you too

Matt49
07-12-2012, 08:33 PM
I would focus on the bottom left bar. Lower it on the chassis and see if that doesn't do the trick. Keep lowering it until you pick up a bit of a throttle push and then you've gone too far. JMO

RACR_73s
07-12-2012, 11:34 PM
What will lowering the rrl bar do? Will it ad bite as well? ~Thanks~

jedclampit
07-12-2012, 11:51 PM
If you were in top hole of shorten-er bracket, you were in no mans land (too much for short bar)without complementing other changes necessary!

dualdj1
07-13-2012, 08:39 AM

takes roll steer out and tightens up, also increases indexing. don't think it adds bite

Egoracing
07-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Bar adjustments do not add bite, the increase leverage and movement. To change bite you need to move weight or adjust springs. A bar adjustment can (and in the case of lowering the left bottom bar on the chassis will) add indexing which will add spring thru movement. So static bite NO, BUT when the chassis rolls over or the links come into play thru throttle, it does add to the LR.

something to look at that will make a car great in the slick that will KILL it in the wet or tacky track are to low of a left side %, weight center to high in the car and, to much LR bite. When the track has plenty of traction any forward drive on the LR by the chassis is going to create a push on the gas. You need to get the RR tire to work to get that side of the car driving forward which will loosen the car up.

jedclampit
07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
4 Bar adjustments can, and sometime do affect lr bite #'s.
The spring is what it is, you can change the leverage on, and rate of leverage application on that spring with 4 bar adjustments.
Motion ratio is the wording used by some.

RACR_73s
07-13-2012, 02:33 PM

I worded my question wrong...I ment will it add drive like lowereing the lrl bar? Sorry. ~Thanks~

dualdj1
07-13-2012, 02:48 PM
it can get more forward drive, because of the increased indexing and lower roll steer. it takes away LR drive angle though, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

jedclampit
07-13-2012, 03:15 PM
I worded my question wrong...I ment will it add drive like lowereing the lrl bar? Sorry. ~Thanks~
Lowering your rr lower on the frame will add side bite to the car and decrease dynamic rear steer and drive angle of rr tire(tighter overall), if the added sidebite gets the car to scotch the rr, and roll the left rear up, you will have more forward drive because of the increased lr drive angle when you get back on the gas.

I think you probably lost drop/travel @ the lr by using the 4th hole(reason why I say don't use it), and added more steer with the increased upper bar angle.
So you took drive angle/dynamic wedge from LR (forward bite) away with the loss of travel and may have added steer (depending if car was rolled up) so you were looser also.....probably the case and that's why it sucked!

A car on the hook HAS to have side bite/body roll to have GOOD forward drive on a slick track!!

(An easy check of this is to move the lr upper from 3rd to 4th hole and see if your drop decreases)

as a note.... you may find some Noticeable gains in forward drive with less rebound in your RF shock and possibly more lr spring