PDA

View Full Version : Gm power steering pump issue

3dinter
07-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Last weekend I had to replace my 84 monte stock "non f41" steering gear box. Everything went ok and checked the stock pwr steering pump/reservoir, was ok to, wheels turned ok... This weekend I raised the front up to change the oil and I figured while I had it up in the air I would crank the car and rotate the tires back and forth to make sure I had the reservoir full, everything full. Lowered the car finished the oil change and cranked it up to circulate the new engine oil.....I figured I would grab the wheel and check it once more and the wheel wouldn't move, checked fluid, ok...maybe air in the system...i cranked the motor and loosened and then took off the pressure line on top of the gear box fluid came out ok...hooked back up the pressure line....took off the return line at the gear box fluid squirted out...so now I'm thinking the pump is ok....but why ain't the tires turning.

usafracer
07-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Did you hook the lines up backwards?

3dinter
07-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Did you hook the lines up backwards?

nope, the line ends are different size they can only go one way. I was thinking last night maybe the pump is pumping,,,,,but not at a decent pressure or enough pressure for the system.