PDA

View Full Version : Brake mounted on RR of locked a locked rear end

dontpanic
07-17-2012, 05:42 AM
What is the opinion on having the rear brake mounted on the RR side only with a locked 9" rear

So in theory the locked rear should evenly disribute the force to both rear wheels or is the spline clearance and axle twist enough to upsett the car with brake bias to the RR wheel?

1/4 mile, dirt, 98x15" Hosier tyre, 500hp space frame Salooncar from New Zealand.

Be great to hear some opinions on this one.

Egoracing
07-17-2012, 06:39 AM
What is the opinion on having the rear brake mounted on the RR side only with a locked 9" rear

So in theory the locked rear should evenly disribute the force to both rear wheels or is the spline clearance and axle twist enough to upsett the car with brake bias to the RR wheel?

1/4 mile, dirt, 98x15" Hosier tyre, 500hp space frame Salooncar from New Zealand.

Be great to hear some opinions on this one.

One caliper on the rear can be overcome with force, you would have to increase rotor size and caliper clamping force to try to get equal stopping force. Then if the axle busts or the spool strips you will find concrete. That is not even considering that you would be trying to stop the car with what would equal a 60+ inch long torsion bar that would be helping bust the axles or the splines.

dontpanic
07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Yea the car was built like this 10 yrs ago and has been racing ever since, its a hangover from a old rule that required OEM diffs thats gone now.
Its an early ford pickup diff with floating hubs and big axles (heavy but strong)
the braking seems enough with one big rotor and wilwood caliper, I wind the rear brakes up on heavy tracks to help loosen the car (paper clip tracks)

so its proven its self to be reliable and reasonably effective just wondering if its possable that the right side getting a slight bias could upsett the car turning in?

Maybe one of those things you dont know untill you try something different.

Egoracing
07-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Yea the car was built like this 10 yrs ago and has been racing ever since, its a hangover from a old rule that required OEM diffs thats gone now.
Its an early ford pickup diff with floating hubs and big axles (heavy but strong)
the braking seems enough with one big rotor and wilwood caliper, I wind the rear brakes up on heavy tracks to help loosen the car (paper clip tracks)

so its proven its self to be reliable and reasonably effective just wondering if its possable that the right side getting a slight bias could upsett the car turning in?

Maybe one of those things you dont know untill you try something different.

Stock axles are not that strong, If it were me, I would not race it like that as there is no backup if something goes wrong and I have had rotors break and calipers stick.

dualdj1
07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
x2 on what Ego said. go with 2 rear's, you can always take rear % out if you need, it's hard to put more rear % in if you don't have enough clamping force.