PDA

View Full Version : Soft right front spring

HOTDOG
07-20-2012, 01:58 PM
When setting ride Ht and bite should I have the RF adjuster turned so far down I can't turn it anymore or should I pickup it more with LF spring and turn more in LR. RF seems way to stiff with all the turn in it. 400 LBS spring.

dualdj1
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
if you crank in more LF and LR, then you can potentially change your cross % depending on turns you put in. If you are setting ride height, you set your fronts together, go back and forth between them until both are set at proper height. then adjust your rears for cross % as best as possible. Recheck fronts after setting rears.

edit: updated as my brain wasn't working.

4bangerhotrod
07-21-2012, 06:18 AM
how are you gaining LS% just by adjusting the lf and lr adjusters

stevo
07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Can't change % with coilovers, have to move weight to do that.If your rears wheels weigh 1000 lbs and screw coilovers down a ft.same wheel weight.

gatorade
07-21-2012, 10:25 PM
so if i go from 60lbs of bite to 180lbs of bite by applying turns, that i wont adjust the left side percent in the car? I agree that big swings in percents cant happen with just turns, but i know for a fact you can create 1.5% swings without changing weight position...

A 400lbs spring in the rf sounds awfully big to have preloaded a ton to make it to stiff so i would look into what you are doing with your left rear, make sure it is preloaded, you want to create your bite with your left rear spring

Egoracing
07-21-2012, 11:34 PM
so if i go from 60lbs of bite to 180lbs of bite by applying turns, that i wont adjust the left side percent in the car? I agree that big swings in percents cant happen with just turns, but i know for a fact you can create 1.5% swings without changing weight position...

A 400lbs spring in the rf sounds awfully big to have preloaded a ton to make it to stiff so i would look into what you are doing with your left rear, make sure it is preloaded, you want to create your bite with your left rear spring

Any gain on the LR would add RF and come of off the LF and RR, You can not change weight %'s without changing weight location. You can put stiffer springs in and crank the LR and RF down until the LF and RR were off of the ground and the left side and rear %'s would still be the same.

WV_Race_Fan
07-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Any gain on the LR would add RF and come of off the LF and RR, You can not change weight %'s without changing weight location. You can put stiffer springs in and crank the LR and RF down until the LF and RR were off of the ground and the left side and rear %'s would still be the same.

You absolutely do effect weight % by adjusting the spring pre-load/ride height and spring rates. And depending on what you do, determines how and what.... It may not make a noticable or significant change in the % that you see when making larger changes such as sliding over the battery, or moving a piece of ballast, but it does change it.

To add to what 4banger said. If you simply raise the LF and LR up (evenly), it will not add LS%, it will simply raise the LS ride height. But it will effect rake in the J-Bar, side to side, and shock/spring angle which has a minute change in spring rate..

Later,

WV Race Fan

stockcar5
07-22-2012, 09:03 AM
ego is right you can NOT change left or rear % without moving lead. you can only change your cross % and lr bite with weight jacks.

steelkiwi75
07-22-2012, 10:10 AM
so the only way to go from 55% rear to 54% is to move weight, not by adjusting coilovers?

zeroracing
07-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Correct, you can only change left or rear % by physically moving weight in the car, you cannot adjust coil overs to adjust left or rear percent. Coil overs only change ride ht and cross weight or lr bite.

stevo
07-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Correct,i tried that once.

sj valley dave
07-22-2012, 07:00 PM
If you guys use scales just look at the LS %...You can crank preload all around, but the LS% doesn't change...

lovinlatemodels
07-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Hot dog what size spring do you have in the RF I been down as low as 300 and still had room to adjust.

HOTDOG
07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
400 lbs RF 250 lbs LR with room to ajust on left rear.

Matt49
07-23-2012, 09:05 AM
If you are adjusting coilover nuts and seeing it change your left side and/or rear percentages, one of two things is happening:
1) your scales are junk
2) you're doing the math wrong

lovinlatemodels
07-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Let me rephrase is your RF spring a 10" or 12"

racin29
07-23-2012, 09:26 AM
are you using a drop shock mount rf lower? if so that is probably the reason the rf is preloaded. the shock is fully extended at ride height and when you jack the car up it can not drop to unload the spring, if you don’t want the spring preloaded and have the clearance try adding a 1" extension to the shock.

dualdj1
07-23-2012, 09:36 AM
ego is right you can NOT change left or rear % without moving lead. you can only change your cross % and lr bite with weight jacks.

yeah that's what i was thinking of, sorry for the confusion. fixed my first post since my brain overloaded

HOTDOG
07-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Not trying to change % just seem like I have turn the ajuster down to far. The dropped lower maybe it . Also it's 12" spring .

dualdj1
07-23-2012, 12:43 PM
in that case you may just need a longer spring.

jedclampit
07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
You can and Definitely will change your left side % if you don't keep the rear end laterally in the same position under the chassis!!
If rear end is to the left of where it was before the coil over adjustments,left % will be lower, and higher if to the right of original position.

This is an easy way to tell if the lateral rear end alignment has changed, and to get it back in place w/o measuring.

Matt49
07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
A few comments:
1) static spring height won't change the amount of pre-load required to get a certain ride height or the amount of pre-load at a given ride height.
2) If you are having to jack the springs so much that it is moving the rear end enough side to side that it changes your left side %, something is wrong with the car.

Starting at baseline ride heights, camber, and stagger numbers (front and back), your cross weight (bite) should be within reason so that it can be adjusted for with no more than about 8 turns on the LR and MAYBE 2 or 3 turns somewhere else if necessary. If it isn't, something may be bent on the car (e.g. control arm, spindle, birdcage, shock, the frame itself, who knows)
We have ran and no of many who have ran much softer than a 400 RF spring and not had this kind of problem. What kind of car is this? Maybe someone else with a similar car has had an issue like this but I haven't seen a MasterSbilt or Rocket have this kind of trouble getting percentages right. 12 inch spring is pretty standard on the RF. Going to a 14 inch spring will give you more thread below to play with but I'd be worried about a larger problem somewhere. Just my 2c.

jedclampit
07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
To the original poster, what make,model and year is this chassis?
What are you using for a ride height?
Where are you measuring it?
What is the stroke length of your rf shock?
I think you may find the root of your problem is what you are using for a ride height, or where you are measuring it, or very possibly you have a a 6" stroke shock.

I have seen a 6" stroke shock used on the rf for increased travel, that required a lot of preload, even with a 400# spring.There is a better way to get more compression travel, but it can be done this way.

If someone 'reworked' the rf coilover mount, that may be the problem also.

I hope this isn't another old Masters wide combo car!

HOTDOG
07-24-2012, 07:49 AM
It's copy of 05 masters with I think 18 5/8 lower right front 7" shocks no extensions 3 7/8 ride Ht.