PDA

View Full Version : 604 over heating help

grt74
07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
we are having alot of trouble keeping the car cooled down ive tried a ton of different things, just about to give up,so i thought i would try to get some other ideas,i hope im just over looking something simple or just didnt think about,its a crate 604 and ive got the car hooked up good,shes getting 230 plus,not losing water,19in fan, double pass,surpentine belt with power steering setup,belts tight, but just cant keep her cool,any other ideas or things you have done that worked would be great,thanks guys, she gets about 190 in hot laps and quailifing 220 230 heat race and friggin hot in the feature and its killing me because we have a fast car and having to pull off

EAMShater
07-22-2012, 04:56 PM
We own a radiator shop and are dealers for far and run a oil cooler from then and a triple pass radiator with power steering on the tyranny and serpentine belt setup and run about 210. I think the deck mounted oil cooler is about a ten degree help at least

perfconn
07-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Nobody can tell you what you are doing wrong because of so many possibilities.Carburetor could be too lean,poor quality gas,too much timing,wrong fan blade not all 4 blades are the same,dirty radiatior,radiatior that has been over heated several times.Lots of possibilities.

grt74
07-22-2012, 05:53 PM
plugs arent blistering but we are running 93 pump fuel,was thinking of going up 1 or 2 jet sizes,we have a camera and used it (wanted to see if headers were getting red and they werent)i myself run supers but starting my son in crate,and have chased this gremlin for a while
i was reading some of the stuff in the crate section and got 1 or 2 ideas,just wanted some other ideas might be missing something simple

sj valley dave
07-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Headers glow red due to timing or rich condition...It is fuel burning in the header tube...If you were lean enough to glow steel header tubes, what do you think your aluminum piston would look like?? LOL

Egoracing
07-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Go to Stewart Water Pumps web site and follow his instructions, Problem solved.

grt74
07-22-2012, 07:40 PM
thank you ego,as usual your opinion is always valued,ill check it out,and give them a call in the morning thanks again

grt74
07-22-2012, 07:56 PM
ego,i have read it and got a couple things to do,thanks again,it just a couple simple things like i figured

Egoracing
07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
When was the last time you soaked out the rad? I have posted on here several times how to do it and it helps a BUNCH even on a radiator that looks spotless. Use a kiddie pool, put the radiator in it tubes up. Fill it what water to cover the tubes and tanks but not the hose connections, put a few drops of dawn or Ivory dish soap (5-10 drops not enough to cause bubbles in the water) to help with the waters surface tension. Let is sit a few hours and then slowly lift and lower the radiator and allow water to go thru the fin area. After a few times if the water gets dirty start with fresh water and rinse the radiator with a garden hose using running water between baths. You will be shocked at what comes out.

grt74
07-25-2012, 09:25 PM
problem solved 195 after 50 laps in 100 degree weather in the sun,even with her hooked up and grunting

dualdj1
07-26-2012, 09:07 AM
problem solved 195 after 50 laps in 100 degree weather in the sun,even with her hooked up and grunting

Just the water pump, or did you do the rad bath too? Just curious

crate late
07-26-2012, 08:00 PM
It aint rocket science, it's forgetting all the BS Joe Blow racer told you and all you have heard over the years. Just do what it says and it works. Period

grt74
07-26-2012, 08:36 PM
i did just like it said,bought a new single pass,ran the lines across the intake,already had fan shroud and water pump,i did also build some very simple ducting that i dont know if we really need but i didnt cut the nose at all, all i can say for sure is it didnt get hot!!! by the way i now have a triple pass radiator for sale but i will also say we run the surpetine belt set up and had the ps on the head and moved it to the block (it seemed to have more of the belt on all the pulleys)and got her real tight(i can just about turn the engine over now