PDA

View Full Version : mounting tires

m.lion
07-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Nonbeadlock weld wheel and hoosier tires any tricks to get them on the bead?

pajamie
07-22-2012, 02:46 PM
never had an issue... try going around the tire once with the bead breaker.. then spray a little WD-40 around the bead.. let it sit for a few minutes then go at it.. I do it that way with a few Valken Wheels we have.. also try and not move far around the tire each time you try and break it down.. That works sometimes too..

RW57
07-22-2012, 03:37 PM
I think he is asking how to get them seated. we use dish washing liquid rubbing tire bead and wheel bead. Baby powder crazy as it sounds also works good . Aero brand wheels are the toughest ones to get seated they are a real pain in the a&& sometimes you just have to man up and air the crap out of them I hate it when they pop out had one today bounce off of floor about 6 in when it seated not fun.

Egoracing
07-22-2012, 04:42 PM
We would wipe the beads down with window cleaner and a rag and spray them with window cleaner and they pop on. The cleaner dries up and you have nothing there to help them slip off when you are on the track like oils or soaps.

DJ16
07-22-2012, 07:32 PM
We would wipe the beads down with window cleaner and a rag and spray them with window cleaner and they pop on. The cleaner dries up and you have nothing there to help them slip off when you are on the track like oils or soaps.

Use Windex

huntingrip
07-22-2012, 10:12 PM
take the guts out of the valve stem to air it up..more pressure..windex around it for lube..

AmickRacing
07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
I have some Valken's that are a bit tricky to get to pop. Takes a bit more air than the old worn out Welds I have (I'd guess around 30 psi).

I use soap and water of some sort. Also do the best you can to get the bead of the tire square to the bead on the rim. I've noticed if you get 3/4 of the tire to set right away, that last 1/4 is tough.

Also, take a short air hose, like 10'. Get yourself a chuck that stays on the valve stem, clip it on, then you can plug the hose in, or use a valve of some sort, and you're 10' away. Lots of tires are mounted every week with few consequences, but there have been plenty of people hurt or killed doing it too.

grt74
07-23-2012, 01:43 AM
i dont like to use anything like soap or wd40 because of the chance of slipping on the rim,we use a little water mixed with rubbing alcohol(about 10-15% of the spray bottle)it will evaporate very fast,and it doesnt take much

grasshopper
07-23-2012, 07:25 AM
We have always used wd-40 never had a tire come off the wheel. But that don't mean we want this weekend.

Matt49
07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Window cleaner will evaporate also. That's what we use. We've never had to get a tire over 20 PSI to get it to seat. We use Weld wheels.

latemodel86
07-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Believe WD-40 will make the tire sniffer go off

pajamie
07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
yeah I guess he was asking how to get them on.. that what I get for being on here responding after being up all night..

I use WD-40.. NEVER had an issue with them coming off..

merc123
07-24-2012, 08:42 PM
I've used soap and water, purple power, PB blaster and WD-40. They all work. Haven't had one slip off the wheel.

dontpanic
07-25-2012, 03:46 AM
I made up a simple fitting in the shed one night its a steel valve cap drilled through and inserted into some air line with a hose clamp to hold it in plase. other end plugs straight into the compressor line and provides unrestricted airflow when you remove the valve from the stem and screw this baby on, plug it in get the bead posisioned and walk away a safe distance and wait for the beads to pop on, I always use detergent but always get a stubborn one now and then.

Detergent also fixes those annoying slow sidewall leaks, just coat detergent on the inside of the tyre and it blocks the holes up.

Cheers Brendon

merc123
07-30-2012, 01:59 PM
One more thing I forgot, but had a stubborn tire this weekend to make me remember.

Hoosier says never go over 40 PSI to seat a bead. I don't go over 30. If it doesn't pop by 30 and I let it sit for a few minutes and still no seating, I let the air out and break the bead back down for the side that hasn't popped. Recoat with your choice lubricant then air it up. Sometimes you can get the back bead to seat completely then you can break the front bead down and re-try. The more square it is on the wheel the better it is.

I wound up breaking front and back down on this tire 3 times to get it to seat but never went over 30 PSI. Back popped at about 20 and front popped at 29. I also had to keep spraying the rim with PB blaster.

Plantintaters
08-06-2012, 10:10 PM
We use a clip on air chuck and an extra air hose. Make the connection between the two hoses at a safe distance and hide behind something big. Be carefull not to over inflate. Had a tire fail at high pressure one day and it sounded like we lit off a Howitzer in the yard. There is a ton of energy looking for somewhere to go when they are trying to pop. If you can't find any Okra, use Windex

50j
08-08-2012, 06:52 AM
Window cleaner will evaporate also. That's what we use. We've never had to get a tire over 20 PSI to get it to seat. We use Weld wheels.

X2, it makes it easy.