PDA

View Full Version : Rear ujoint question??

racer21
07-27-2012, 02:39 PM
I've been having to replace the rear ujoint the last couple weeks,i'm trying to figure out the cause,the joint fits in the yoke fine,the first one i was told i overtighten it so this one im
not sure of.Anyone have any ideals could it be the pinion angle i've fur all year and not hade a problem and havent changed pinion angle could the sixth coil be week letting it dive
down farther when on the brakes,any suggestions would be helpful,thanks to all

jedclampit
07-28-2012, 12:20 AM
What exactly is wrong with it that it needs replaced?

If your drive shaft is not sliding in and out of transmission smoothly, with a load on it, or the slip yoke is bottoming out going into trans, are common problems that car overload it.
Excessive working angle on decel could be a probable cause of premature failure also.
Most regular parts store stuff (including what you get from some racing suppliers) doesn't hold up well usually, use only genuine Spicer u joints for longevity.
Always pack the caps with grease before assembly and install the fitting after caps are installed, then re grease with gun after installed in car.

racer21
07-28-2012, 06:56 AM
It is burning up the ujoint at the rearend yoke end,its good inthe driveshaft im going to put a new yoke on and see if that fixes it,i checked last night and nothing on the car
has changed (ride heights,pinion angle ,or hike) so maybe the yoke will fix it,just have to try and c,thanks for the info

o.show
07-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Had same experience.
Be sure to remove ALL air lock from the joint. As you fit the new Uni. overfill with lube, plus purge with pressure when fitted.
Allan.

gadirtracer
07-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Considering it's only eating the caps that the u-bolts are on, sounds like you are over tightening the bolts and crushing the caps, not allowing the needles to rotate in the cap. There is a torque on these,(not sure what) but no way to get a torque wrench on them anyhow...
Seen it many times. Get the aluminum "girdle" type to prevent this.

speaker56
07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
On new u joint snug the the u bolts just enough the caps won't come out of the yoke saddle, then grease the joint till grease comes out the rubber seal of all 4 caps. When you have grease out of all 4 caps take your half inch wrench and grab it towards the closed end (closed end on the nut)to finish tightening. It does not take much! Using a teflon lock nut also helps keep it consistent from week to week.
When you are checking them during weekly maintenance, before you check them for tightness, GREASE the u joint again till you get grease out of all four caps. Most of the time if you do it this way the nuts will be tight. If you tighten before greasing you are tightening the space that the grease would be in which means less grease will be in the caps to eventually knock the needle bearings out.