PDA

View Full Version : Maybe someone knows?????

Mod66x
07-31-2012, 11:49 AM
First didn't really know where to ask this question.
Why are Late Models more popular towards the east then out west?

Matt49
07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
First didn't really know where to ask this question.
Why are Late Models more popular towards the east then out west?

Just from what I know...
When the term "late model" first came into use it was in the south and in the midwest where stock car racing was already popular. Stock car racing was supposed to be cheaper than building a "race car" (e.g. spring car, big car, etc.) because you could just take your old car and soup of the engine and go racing. But like any form of racing, the guys with the money started dominating because they were buying brand new cars with better suspension and bigger motors and racing against the other "stock cars" so they had to make a new class just for them: new and late model stock cars. The name "Late Model" stuck and the cars evolved into what we have today which are complete fabricated "stock cars". Most of this happened in the South and the Midwest and spread from there which is why it simply never really took hold on the west coast like it did on the east coast.

mudslinger47
07-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Being in Callyfornia it is my opinion that this state has been predominantly a sprint car area for a very long time, dating back to the 30's. One of the things a historian of the sprint cars will notice is the predominance of names that have been associated with the sprint cars for decades. This creates a fan base and thus they seem to always pull a good crowd where ever they go. Point, on last Sunday night they had an ASCS sprint car show on a Sunday night and $27.00 admission price and the place was almost capacity. Do that with a Late Model show and all you'd have had was crickets. Now don't get me wrong, I am a DLM guy, past owner/driver and owner. DLM's are my preference. But we've been working for years to get them built back up then the economy takes a down turn and it suffers bigtime. Were just trying to survive the downturn and get the show back on the road.

Duane

sj valley dave
07-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Agree Duane...That's one reason why I think they dropped the mods at Calistoga this coming for the DLM race weekend and replaced them with the winged 360 Sprint Cars...Help draw that Calistoga sprint car fan base...Watch how many people leave after the 360 main event...LOL

mudslinger47
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Ya, they don't like them taxi cabs!! LOL

Duane

PS We gonna see ya there?

sj valley dave
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Most of us crew are going to drive up and spectate..the car is ready, but has been sitting...$$ has been tight this year.. :( We'll stop by and say hi if you're going to be at Pete's car...