PDA

View Full Version : How much travel is LR front shock?

kevpow
08-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Im running a MB with all Ohlin shocks. After setting the car up this past week per MB specs and frame heights, I only have about 1" of travel left in the LR front shock. Is this common or should there be more travel there?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-02-2012, 11:58 AM
The lr shouldn't really go below ride height very often. I would like to see 1.5" if possible. Do these shocks have remote canisters or are they the bulb type with the canister built into the end?

kevpow
08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
MB, all of my other shocks are the canister deals but the LR front is the Ohlin with bulb canister on top!. I know that when the car is on the bars, it'll be stretched out but I was worried about rebound and it bottoming out. Ive set it to ride height and scaled the car accordingly, just worried. It may be fine. I just wanted some input. Thanks for any help.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-02-2012, 12:37 PM
You lost travel because the bulb makes the shock body longer. How far below the axle centerline is your birdcage mount?

kevpow
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
They are the bearing cages and i'd say a rough guess would be 2.5" to 3"? Im at work and the car is at the shop but by memory, it was about that much. I cant remember if there was room to drop the shock mount down?

John H
08-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Make sure you have your shock mt on the birdcage at the highest location and use at least a 1" shock extension. You def. don't want to overextend the shock and damage it!

kevpow
08-02-2012, 02:32 PM
John, it's not a matter of overextending, it's a matter of bottoming out! Thanks for the reply though!

John H
08-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Sorry! My mistake. I zigged instead of zagged.

Matt49
08-02-2012, 04:29 PM
With the extreme travel of the shock in front of the LR, I'm surprised somebody hasn't come out with a longer stroke shock just for this application. You almost have to have an extension but then once you get the shock drop setup so that it doesn't top out before your chain catches, it does leave you with a limited amount of bump from ride height to bottomed out.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I believe someone was making a 10 in stroke, but cant remember who.

kevpow
08-02-2012, 06:21 PM
So, I take it that this is a normal problem, or let me rephrase that...This is a common occurance. I appreciate all of your responses and i'll just keep an eye on it to make sure im not bottoming out. Mastersbilt, I may be bending your ear some more in the future. Thanks

Sprint76
08-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I believe someone was making a 10 in stroke, but cant remember who.

Saw one on one of the Bloomquist cars at Volusia this year. Can't remember who though. I think the shock was black, so it may be made by Advanced.

lovinlatemodels
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I believe the black shock you are refering too is Black Magic shock they do build a 10" stroke.

EAMShater
08-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I actually run a bump stop on my front shock so if for some reason the car ever was to come completely off the bars when slowing down getting in it wont go too far and cause the car to actually go right. I don't see a big issue with it really. I do have an 09 bwrc tho