PDA

View Full Version : rhoads lifter adjustment

fast90mini
08-06-2012, 03:23 PM
We just bought a new car and the owner installed rhoads v max lifters in the engine, we run the car on the track one time but it broke a rocker arm, replaced arm and finnished the race, the original owner said to set the lifters with a 20 thousands feeler guage, we did this and seems to loose. anyone running these lifters and can tell me the proper way to adjust them. The rhoads website says to set them two different ways and still to loose, any help or ideas on this, thanks ps.. I have called rhoads directly and left messages with no return call.

Driver88
08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
They usually are loose because they grow when the oil pressure come up. If you set them too tight they will be holding the valve open when they grow. Or thats the way I understand it.

Hurst390
08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't know if the vmax is something new...but I have ran rhoades in my Rambler and I adjusted them 1/4 turn past zero lash just like I do any other hydraulic lifter....their design lets them bleed off at low rpm giving you more vacuum and more low end...they do work as advertised but noisy in a street car....I realize you already have them but if rules allow solid lifter is the way to go...

3dinter
08-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Good question, i would like to know the answer also, as i am about to install some Rhoads in my car.

umpmod2
08-07-2012, 10:19 AM
The V Max lifters are set like solid rollers. With feeler gauge. They do that so you can run more lift on you camshaft without getting dq'd for too much lift. When the lifters are set with a "gap" they will seem very loose and even "chatter" at idle. But when the rpm and oil pressure cone up you get Max lift from the cam. Takes a little bit to get used to hearing all the chattering coming out the top of the motor, but they work great!