PDA

View Full Version : spring mount position on birdcage...

mndirt
08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
What effects does it have on the car if I were to lower the sprint mount on the birdcage? I'm currently at 4.5" from the center of the rear end to the coil-over mount on both right and left sides. My cages have the options to go down another 2", so I would be at 6.5" from centerline. Of course, I would add the 2" into my coil-over nut to set the car back to ride height. But I'm curious how this would change the car dynamically, if much at all. What effects should the car feel if I were to lower that point on either side?

mndirt
08-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Somebody has to have some knowledge on this? Or at least an opinion!?

WV_Race_Fan
08-08-2012, 09:10 PM
The closer the pick up points (4 link, or shock/spring) to the axle center the quicker the reaction and weight transfer becomes at the points you've changed. If you are just lowering your pickup points on the cages for your shocks and are resetting your ride height, be careful you don't run out of shock travel, because you will be extending the shock shafts by however much you move the mounts on the cage when you do it that way. This runs the risk of you topping them out (particularly the LR).

If you make this change, I suggest investing in a few shock extentions to give you the ability to achieve similar travel. That, or they make a bolt in shock extention that fits at the top of the shock clevis on the frame. I believe PPM makes them.

Later,

WV Race Fan

charcoal01
08-09-2012, 12:04 AM
I think there is more to it than that. It will react slower, yes. But it's further away from your pivot point, therefore it's goin to index into the spring more, if your coil over in front on rs and spring behind on the left. If you lengthen it on the rs, you'll be tighter in the middle.

racin29
08-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Although it slows the speed of movement of the shock mount. it will also increase the amount of travel the mount point has as the birdcage indexes. Which will increase traction of that corner. Now that doesn't mean you should drop it even farther because it does work on a curve. If you get too far away from center the mount will move slow enough that it will actually travel less. Bar lengths also play a roll in the curve. If they are short bars and you get a lot of indexing through the cage the drop will need to be " closer" to centerline of axle.

In your case I'm assuming you bars are aprox 17 uppers and 15 lowers. In which case going from 4.5 to 6.5 will increase your traction.

I apologize if this was hard to fallow im replying from my phone. I can try to explain it better at another time.

mndirt
08-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys. I moved the mount down and adjusted my coil over nut to compensate and noticed that it was indexed into the spring more. Just wasn't sure how it would affect the timing of the indexing through the corner. My left side bars are 18" and 15". I have been running really well lately, just looking for minor adjustments (and I'm getting bored with not changing anything!). So if I move the left side mount down 2 inches (standard spring behind), from 4.5" inches to 6.5", I can expect a slower reaction when I initially get on the throttle, but more left rear traction once the car is at full hike? Is that correct?