PDA

View Full Version : 9" gear life

dontpanic
08-10-2012, 07:53 PM
How many seasons is a 6.5 gear set expected to live in a oval track car, they seem to have a short life, the last set went about 50 meetings with richmond gears, profesionally assembled, redline shockproof oil and baffles in the axle tubes. only a 450-hp car.

Any tips for extended life ?

Cheers Brendon

chevy370lsx
08-10-2012, 10:23 PM
6 years on my richmonds, always used amsoil synthetic oil and break in was hot laps.

stockcar5
08-10-2012, 10:59 PM
good gears like richmond, gleason, motive ect should last about forever. cheap gears like the ones you find for $110-$120 are a crap shoot. if they weren't set up properly then who knows how long any gear will last.

dontpanic
08-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Do you guys pull them out every winter for inspection and lash adjustment?

Cheers Brendon

Racer96m
08-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Like someone mentioned already, good parts are key. If you buy a "Speedway Motors" gear, you get cheap gears and China bearings. I have 5 seasons on a 6.50 that I set up, so they can last if built right. If you go much over a 6.50 you better start thinking about a Daytona pinion support or its gona come apart. I change gears alot and inspect weakly. Just last week I noticed play in the inner pinion bearing ( the small one in front of pinion ) So I pulled it apart, replaced it and put it back together. The key is to keep an eye on things and fix before it comes apart, not after. Thats my .02

Dave.