PDA

View Full Version : HOT rr tire

rcstreet1
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
right rear tire gets hot and car is loose in and of corner...175 rr spring 250 lr spring

hnamea
08-13-2012, 05:54 PM
that seems like a pretty big split for spring rates in the rear of car. I would run the split 50lbs or less and sheck bite in car. this should help with both problems. you may also want to check shock travel on left rear and make sure shock isnt picking left rear off ground or pulling up on it in the corner.

rcstreet1
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
if the left rear was getting lifted by the shock wouldnt it make the lr hot ???and bits about 75...to much?? not enough???

dirtman45
08-14-2012, 01:34 AM
We run the 75# split with more rear spring rate and anywhere from 280 to 350 for bite. RR is warm but not hot. Check your right side tire pressure before and right after a race and see what the pressure gains. Ours gains 2# on the right side tires, 1/2# on the lefts.

rcstreet1
08-14-2012, 09:57 PM
wow...thats alot of bite. i tryed runnin about 150 bite and it pushed bad

DANNY
08-14-2012, 11:05 PM
May sound funny but, make sure left rear is spinning. Depending on what type of rear end under there. You could have broke an axle, stripped axle or drive flange, stripped spool or in my case I didnt have correct spacing between the axles and the left rear axle was sliding out of the drive flange and was getting no spin at all to that tire as soon as right rear unloaded it was like you took the tires off the ground it would break loose and turn up so fast if not for a tacky night probably woulda about wore the tire out lol

First time with a floater :D

3dinter
08-15-2012, 10:02 AM
right rear tire gets hot and car is loose in and of corner...175 rr spring 250 lr spring

we run the same springs in a 84 monte, all stock suspension, 13" rear, 11" front 1300 r/f, 1100 l/f no jacks, no nothing all stock per our rules, 3 way pro stock adjustable shocks. for me i was loose from the middle and off corner, for us it was moving the weight from the center and right TO center and left side in trunk, over axle and behind axle, 12 gal fuel cell with about 300lbs lead in rear, 7.5 rearend. After moving the weight to the left and center once the car goes in it sets up perfect and shoots straight out of 4 hard. VS before it would go in ok, push in center and be loose all the way past the flag stand...no traction what so ever....i know people are gonna flip when you see the front spring rates, but everyone who wins down here runs 1000 and up in the fronts.

rcstreet1
08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
i have plenty of shock lr shock travel and both tires spin lol. so what else would be causing the rr to get hot. its not rubbing any where ...to much bite...to little?

dirtman45
08-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Too little.

dirt2
08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
i have plenty of shock lr shock travel and both tires spin lol. so what else would be causing the rr to get hot. its not rubbing any where ...to much bite...to little?

Improper setup on the car.

dirt2

ss74
08-16-2012, 09:19 AM
You need a stiffer RR spring. The tire is hot because its spinning. Your loose going in and thru because the car is not balanced properly. Your exit probably feels loose because your entry and mid turn were never good. Entry is the RR and LF spring. What front springs are you running. Keep in mind when you stiffen the RR spring make sure you get the LR bite back to normal.

rcstreet1
08-16-2012, 11:44 AM
running 1000 on front. both sides. when i use to run more bite the car pushed. how big of a split in tire temp should it be...and its not like the car is out of control loose . its just a hand full lol..

3dinter
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
running 1000 on front. both sides. when i use to run more bite the car pushed. how big of a split in tire temp should it be...and its not like the car is out of control loose . its just a hand full lol..

Give some more specific details about your car, looks like everyone is guessing long story short you have the wrong setup and without some details your pissing in the wind.
shocks, springs and rates, tshocks, how much weight and where its specifically located, type of rearend, tire size, wheel offsets and where, rear drum or disc, using tire spacers, scale % if you got them...etc.etc.etc....

rcstreet1
08-16-2012, 12:17 PM
springs lf 1000 rf 1000 Lr 250 rr 175... front springs 9.5 rear springs 13

rcstreet1
08-16-2012, 12:21 PM
afco shocks. lf 75-3 rf 74 rr 72 lr 94-2.. emod tires. 1 inch stagger. scales- 51.3 left side. 50.2 cross. 56 rear. 75 pounds bite

rcstreet1
08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
since the rr is hott that means its spinning more then the left rear...so that makes me think it needs bite taken out to plant the rr ??? but then its loose so that makes me think it needs more bite??? so confused

dirtman45
08-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Trust me, more bite will tighten it up. RR is hotter because it's doing more work. If you get the bite up the LR will be doing some of the work that the RR is doing now. Your rear % seems high, that will make it looser also. I would find a way to add cross (tighten it up) and go from there. That's the basic thing it needs.

3dinter
08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
i agree the rear % is a lil much, we run 52 to 53 max in the rear IMO and add a lil L/S % to around 52% also. i am not a fan of the 9.5 springs IMO go to 11" around the same rates, from what we always learned you need your lower a arms level to the ground...JMO...

rcstreet1
08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
i have my a frame level...how much bite you thinkin..last time i ran alot of bite it wanted to push...any ideass... more stagger or what

dirtman45
08-17-2012, 01:19 PM
I would guess that the 75# is not nearly enough. When you said you added it last time and it wanted to push... how much did you add? Split the difference.

rcstreet1
08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
stockcar driver- if you think my bite is about right what do you think would cause the rr tire to get hot..but thanks every one for your suggestions i made some changes and were gunna see what happens to night.

rcstreet1
08-18-2012, 01:06 AM
thanks every one!!!!put more bite in car and it help alot

Ricky76
09-10-2012, 09:38 PM
What causes the rr to get that much hotter though ? Is it because it's just spinning, sliding more across the track, or doing more work than the lr ?

buterbaughb1
09-10-2012, 10:46 PM
how much hotter are you talking? I have never had my lr as hot as my rr, and talking to fellow competitors, they seem to feel the same, at least with the metric cars. We run late model tires in our area, with 2bbl carbs. i run 240# of bite and a 200lb rr spring, am i out to lunch?

Ricky76
09-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I know I should have checked the temp difference, but after we go through tech and I get to the trailer it would change a lot. I've felt of them by hand after the feature and I'd say maybe 10 degrees difference ? This may not be too bad, just wondering ? Thanks, Ricky

rcstreet1
09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
i would say 10 deg difference is good. when i was sayin my right rear was gettin hot it was about 50-60 degrees hotter . i put more bite in it and that problem went away so i guess the right rear was doing to much work..

Ricky76
09-13-2012, 05:09 PM
O ok. Thanks for the information.

Ricky76
04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
I know this is an old thread, but we had play day yesterday and my car was terrible. We moved the weight off the rear of the car an put it closer to the rear end and just in front of the fuel cell and the car car much better. I checked the rear tires and they were about even as far as temps, but the car didn't have enough forward drive and was snappy loose in the center of the turn. I added three rounds of left rear and changed from a 200 lb rr spring to a 175 and the car got better, but the rr tire was much hotter than the left rear tire after these changes. The car felt much better, but the tire temps changed a lot after these changes ? It seems that adding the lr bite, the rr got much hotter ? I know the rr isn't spinning more than the left rear because it's a Ford 9 inch with a full spool so they're going to spin the same. Maybe this will help with people's questions about tire temps ???

merc123
04-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Here was my 3-link setup

1200# / 75 shock. -- 1000# / 75 shock
275# / 94 shock -- 250# / 95 shock

53.5 left
54 rear

Bite: 80

We had 120 to 140 at one time but pushed and car would not drive right. Dropped it down and worked great.

Was going to try a 1000 / 800 spring but moved up to a new class

Could the j-bar be causing part of the issue? Maybe it has moved or the length was set right.

72Dubya
04-15-2013, 02:54 PM
I know this is an old thread, but we had play day yesterday and my car was terrible. We moved the weight off the rear of the car an put it closer to the rear end and just in front of the fuel cell and the car car much better. I checked the rear tires and they were about even as far as temps, but the car didn't have enough forward drive and was snappy loose in the center of the turn. I added three rounds of left rear and changed from a 200 lb rr spring to a 175 and the car got better, but the rr tire was much hotter than the left rear tire after these changes. The car felt much better, but the tire temps changed a lot after these changes ? It seems that adding the lr bite, the rr got much hotter ? I know the rr isn't spinning more than the left rear because it's a Ford 9 inch with a full spool so they're going to spin the same. Maybe this will help with people's questions about tire temps ???

If you soften the spring up on the RR, it will allow more weight to sit on the RR, allowing the RR to have to do more work and heat up more. It will also take some weight and drive off of the LR, not letting it do as much work, so it will not be as hot as before. It would be best to rescale the car, as well as check the ride heights.

junebug
04-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Ok...im a modified guy and haven't messed with stock car stuff forever but u said your loose on entry...which everyone knows to fix entry first then gradually work to exit when tuning on your car...not arguing at all but if ur loose in I thk u need to take away bite....make the car not slide getting in...cars only have so much grip and if u give up 50% by sliding on entry then u only have 50% left on exit...if u can keep the entry looseness to a minimum then you will have more traction left when its time to pick up the throttle...providing the car isn't pushy

ss74
04-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Junebug is right on. Your RR is spinning because it's not biting the surface, or getting grip. More LR bite will free you up on entry. And driving style makes a huge difference on ones setup. If you like to sling the car sideways on entry to get the car to turn then your screwed coming off. It will feel free and spin the tires terribly. You need to focus on getting a better balance in your car. Get the car to rotate naturally and then your mid turn and exit will improve. remember, you can't win the race getting off the corner until you win the race getting in. Balance, balance, balance. And one more thing to consider, the old ways of a stiffer RF spring is long gone, especially on metric cars. At a minimum start of with the same rates across the front, and as you get better adjusted to the charactoristic of the car you will eventually want a much stiffer LF spring then RF. The you will be able to start getting a greater spring split in the back which will greatly enhance you corner exit. Look at what the Late Model guys are doing. Some run as much as a 700 LF and a 250 RF. I know the chassis are different but the dynamics are the same.

frontrunner
04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Has anybody asked ya if ur on the gas or off the gas on entry if ya got to be on the gas on entry & slinging the car on entry thats heating up the rr tire so if ya got to sling the car on entry or run it in to turn car that means to much L/R in car just saying... The next thing is run 1 1/2 stagger all the time on rear & 1/2 on front next change L/r to a 225 & go to a 800 Lf and a 900 RF..Next if ya can pull the rr back 3/4'' or move the lr forward eaither way do that and then add l/r bite in the car if its alittle loose after you try this....

frontrunner
04-28-2013, 10:53 AM
That should keepthe heat out off the rr tire...

junebug
04-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Not sure what to think of that post up there...if ur rr is hot its usually because the car is tailed out really bad and sliding the rr...i have never burnt up a rr when my car was straight...so im thinking 3/4 trail would burn the rr clear down to the chords...if it was me id keep trail 1/4 from zero all the time so either a 1/4 fwd or 1/4 back...any more them that feels funny to me...i would try 900 lf 750 RF 200 lr 250 rr
4 lf 3-7or 8 RF 8-2 lr 4 rr shocks
1/8 rr lead 30-50 lbs of wedge
54 or so left side %
Jbar 1" below pinion center 5" rake
Bar angles 17-20left 3-8right
1 1/2- 2" stagger in rear
1" in front
3/4" toe out
2-4 caster 3-5 camber
All that should be a very neutral drivable setup...if u have problems from there start checking for binds or other issues possibly...but at least that's be a good starting point

Ricky76
04-29-2013, 07:32 PM
If you run a rf spring that soft, how do you keep it from bottoming out the shock or the frame hitting the a frame ? I run stock mount shocks on the front and we can't run pull bars, j-bars, and no 3 links. I've also never ran a stiffer rr spring than a lr spring ?

junebug
04-30-2013, 12:10 AM
There's a few answers to that question...one thing u can do is put a bump stop on the shock shaft...but in my opinion the car bottoms out the RF less with the soft spring...i know that sounds stupid but here's why....if u have a soft spring with the RF tied down the car will not lift off the spring meaning u keep the spring compressed so when u enter the corner there is...lets say 4 " of RF compression...where the stiff spring popped back up and maybe only has 1-1.5"...so a 750 @ 4" has 3000lbs of load...even if u have a 1200 @ 1.5" of compression that is only 1800 lbs...thats why in my opinion the soft RF with a 3-8 will bottom out less that a stiffer spring...
In simple terms the stiffer spring gets more of a running start at roll the softer one just kinda lays there

speedbuggy
04-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Also, with a softer RF, more front weight will transfer to the LF on entry and more right side weight to the RR through the turn.

frontrunner
05-03-2013, 10:07 PM
All i was saying is if ya have a tight car ya got to sling in into the turn and that heats the rr tire becouse the driver has to break it loose to turn.. And by pulling the rr back will let the car turn itself by having the car freed up.. my car was so tight buring the rr up in one race so kept pulling the rr back & now no prob.. & then i pulled the rr back till car gets loose & then now i add lr if i need to tighten car back up..and yes i was afraid to try it till i did it and car was like a whole diff. car nice & free and now i can ajust it if i need to and im back on the rr 1 1/4'' now and car is great and i can run a whole race without heating up the rr....

Driver88
05-04-2013, 01:28 AM
A friend of mine used to run his car with the RR trailing better than an inch. It worked for him. Two track championships in a row and was working on a 3rd when the track closed. I tried it and couldnt get it off the corner it would head straight for the wall. I'm not sure what he did different than me but it sure worked for him, and sure didn't for me.

Ricky76
05-04-2013, 01:48 PM
There's a few answers to that question...one thing u can do is put a bump stop on the shock shaft...but in my opinion the car bottoms out the RF less with the soft spring...i know that sounds stupid but here's why....if u have a soft spring with the RF tied down the car will not lift off the spring meaning u keep the spring compressed so when u enter the corner there is...lets say 4 " of RF compression...where the stiff spring popped back up and maybe only has 1-1.5"...so a 750 @ 4" has 3000lbs of load...even if u have a 1200 @ 1.5" of compression that is only 1800 lbs...thats why in my opinion the soft RF with a 3-8 will bottom out less that a stiffer spring...
In simple terms the stiffer spring gets more of a running start at roll the softer one just kinda lays there
That makes sense and it definitely helps me understand it better. Thanks for all the information.

Ricky76
05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
What left rear shock do you prefer with a soft rf spring ?

junebug
05-04-2013, 03:46 PM
What left rear shock do you prefer with a soft rf spring ?

remind me what u have for rear suspension again? And what front clip u hav also n I can give u gives good baseline for everything...no matter what its all about combination...everything has to work together

junebug
05-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm sorry I thought you said lr spring...8-2 for lr shock

frontrunner
05-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Trailing my car works for me & even with a 1 1/4 trail my car still drives streight but it is freed up and that what took the heat out of the rr and now thinkin bout goin to 2 inches of trail.. but it is working for me but not sure why the next guy might not like it that way but every driver is not the same i guess but it is workin fo me...

frontrunner
05-04-2013, 09:56 PM
i just plumb bob the rearend but now im just to the point that i just keep pulling the rr back without measuring it but seems to keep getting better..but if ya keep pulling the rr back till it gets loose on exit then put lr bite in the car works out great..

Ricky76
05-08-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry I thought you said lr spring...8-2 for lr shock

Thank you for all your information. Ricky

Ricky76
05-08-2013, 09:20 PM
i just plumb bob the rearend but now im just to the point that i just keep pulling the rr back without measuring it but seems to keep getting better..but if ya keep pulling the rr back till it gets loose on exit then put lr bite in the car works out great..

I've always been told to keep your rear end square and if you have to move one side or the other then your using that as a crutch because you have a problem some where else with the car ?

dirt2
05-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Check your PM

dirt2

frontrunner
05-13-2013, 08:26 PM
ya ever watch a 4 bar car the one with lots off rearsteer is fast & the streetstocks here are running rr back an inch and they are fast and i found out looser is faster i started running to the front when i did it and times are alot better so if its a crutch it dnt matter to me its movin me to the front.. I tried it i liked it and it gets me to where i can exit almost perfect becouse it turns in with no effort....