PDA

View Full Version : overflow question

rubbinsracin
08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
What is everyone using for an overflow tank? We currently are using a tank out of a 1988 Ford tbird lol. It works good but man is it ugly.

jedclampit
08-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Overflow of what? Coolant? If so nothing.

rubbinsracin
08-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Really. U never push any water out at all?

Matt49
08-17-2012, 11:51 AM
No overflow tank on our car. Hose runs back to the right side of the decking just behind the hood so I can see it if ever does spray.

jedclampit
08-17-2012, 02:48 PM
No overflow tank on our car. Hose runs back to the right side of the decking just behind the hood so I can see it if ever does spray.

I have always run pretty much the same deal on our cars, with a slightly different location.Where roll cage comes the thru deck, near RF of deck.

You will always push some coolant out due to expansion, once it reaches an equilibrium, you won't push any more out unless your overheating or losing combustion pressure to the cooling system.
Having the overflow coming out where the driver can see it allows him to know if he is cooking the engine(as we all know most drivers rarely look at the gauges when they are racing!)
If you let it dump straight down by rad it can end up on the rf tire and put you rightquick in the wall/fence.

There is a benefit to running a tank, as it keeps the system completely free of air and completely full, but its not usually done on a dirt car.
I'd have to wonder how much would leak out of the reservoir under racing conditions, and worry where it may end up (tires!!).

sj valley dave
08-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Totally agree, we just run the hose up the right front cage tube so the driver can see it...Will get his attenetion...Overflow tanks are mostly on pavement cars...imo