PDA

View Full Version : Getting in the game (motor advice)

Dreamspawn
08-18-2012, 01:15 PM
This winter i'm planning on building a late model to run at the local 3/8 mile tracks. I'm basically a weekend warrior as work (police officer) is hard to get weekends off. I'm gonna run a Rayburn swing arm car, custom front suspension (off another guy that runs these tracks). I've actually got alot of good advice from local late model guys. My only real ? is motor choice. They are all leaning me towards the CT 525 Crate motor, but everything i read people hate these motors. I know our local tracks 800-900hp motors are just to much and spin the sh*t out of them. But why spend 7-8500$ on a 500-600 crate motor when i can build my own? Or should i just shut up and take the advice of he veterans?...

Prior racing experiences is Drag Racing 10+ years, 3 years auto-cross, 1 year motorcycle.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-18-2012, 03:07 PM
If you have the ability to do some engine work yourself, building your own would possibly be cheaper.

Dreamspawn
08-18-2012, 04:03 PM
If you have the ability to do some engine work yourself, building your own would possibly be cheaper.

Yeah I've built my drag car motors (currently building a 557 stroker out pf a ford 460)

Egoracing
08-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah I've built my drag car motors (currently building a 557 stroker out pf a ford 460)

Remember, there is a LOT that you do to a drag motor that will blow up on an oval track.

sj valley dave
08-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Here on the West Coast, we run a 820 hp SB2.2 deal, but we have had our butts handed to us on dry slick summer tracks by a CT-525. One of our guys went and ran the UMP Summer Nats this year..took a big engine and his 525 with him..Did better with the 525..lol got 11th in points..Nick Bartels...Had about 20 races on the 525....

fordracer7
08-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I race on a cops pay check too. Build it yourself and save your money. Stay safe brother.

jrkracing54
08-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only dumb cop out there spending their checks on racecars. Stay safe everybody. John 1*

dirty white boy
08-21-2012, 01:08 AM
it would depend on your resources an motor skills... if you can find good parts at good prices,..know a good machinist ,an know how to an have the tools to assemble an tune go for it,..if not that crate motor be looking pretty good,just havta learn how to tune,..give ya more time to learn setup,..driving style an what not...ant no right or wrong way to go,..its what would work best for you,..good luck

dualdj1
08-21-2012, 12:16 PM
best bet is to look for a decent used engine, and do a rebuild on it. you gamble some, but you can save a lot of $$ that way and still get some good components. Have to be patient and watch for the right deal though, and is always best if you can catch one from a local guy who's going bigger/etc. Other than that, building yourself is a good way to go. Watch the race shows and see what you can get cheap. Get some help on component choices though, cause as the others have said, you'll be very different than drag racing engines.

Do you qualify? or will you race on real tacky track? The biggest determining factor of your build is #1 how much HP can you use in best traction, and #2 how long will that traction last through the night?

hungkaruun
10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
game iwin - vfarm - mgo - thĂ(not a nice word)nh cĂĄt (http://socbile.com/) trĂȘn di d?ng

F22 RAPTOR
01-01-2013, 02:39 PM
This winter i'm planning on building a late model to run at the local 3/8 mile tracks. I'm basically a weekend warrior as work (police officer) is hard to get weekends off. I'm gonna run a Rayburn swing arm car, custom front suspension (off another guy that runs these tracks). I've actually got alot of good advice from local late model guys. My only real ? is motor choice. They are all leaning me towards the CT 525 Crate motor, but everything i read people hate these motors. I know our local tracks 800-900hp motors are just to much and spin the sh*t out of them. But why spend 7-8500$ on a 500-600 crate motor when i can build my own? Or should i just shut up and take the advice of he veterans?...

Prior racing experiences is Drag Racing 10+ years, 3 years auto-cross, 1 year motorcycle.
Don't know where you are or what tracks are like, but the CT525 is well liked here in northeast GA. The pro's to the CT525 is first its all aluminum and second its reliable. If your running a Rayburn first off no matter which engine raise it up about 2". I think you'd like the CT525, I'm not against built engines, but if your new its one less headache. JMO