PDA

View Full Version : Can you patch a hoosier???

emodracer
08-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Just got a brand new D40. Ran it one lap and it got punctured about the size of a pencil on the sidewall. Can it be patched or does it need thrown out?

washeduptoo
08-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Patch it and put a tube in it, some put baby powder in tire with the tube. Good luck.

dillon_94
08-19-2012, 10:01 PM
you will spin the tube if its in the rear, should only use it on the front imo

dirty white boy
08-20-2012, 12:45 PM
take it to a tire shop that dose big truck tires,..have them put a "boot" in it,..its like a patch with a plug built in to it,..dont see how it couldnt work!

dirttrackrocker
08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
take it to a tire shop that dose big truck tires,..have them put a "boot" in it,..its like a patch with a plug built in to it,..dont see how it couldnt work!

I have done this in the tread area, but, I wouldn't suggest patching or repairing any tire on the sidewall.

dualdj1
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I have done this in the tread area, but, I wouldn't suggest patching or repairing any tire on the sidewall.

Agreed. use it with a tube for a front tire if you can.

Egoracing
08-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Sidewalls are bad territory as the tire is thinner and designed differently. I would use it as suggested with a tube but not on a high load area. Maybe the LF if you can and get the others to what you need.

emodracer
08-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I appreciate all the info. I looked at the tire closely today after washing everything and it is peeled back just a little and then on the inside is a pin size hole. Will prolly patch the inside and out and put a tube in it and see what happens.

andy90x
08-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I patched a side wall once and after the tire heated up it blew up. It was like watching a NASCAR guy blow a tire and destroy the body work. Dont do it, not worth the head ache.

50j
08-26-2012, 10:48 AM
What he said. There are enough problems that can come up without starting out with one. If nothing else you won't have that to worry about.

Ssm31
08-27-2012, 09:34 AM
We use to stitch ours than patch on the sidewallsbut only used them as spares never hAd any problems.

autoshop
09-02-2012, 10:07 PM
take it to a tire shop that recaps truck tires and ask to have the race tire vulcanize on the sidewall. this process melts rubber into the hole in the sidewall and leaves a boot on the inside area the size of dollar bill. you can have them buff down the area so you can either run a tube or tubeless. the repaired area is stronger than the rest of the tire sidewall. I used to do the repairs for years before I retired from the tire business.

LITE-INN
09-02-2012, 10:40 PM
ask dirt mod17 x he 's and expert with mod tires

dirty white boy
09-02-2012, 10:45 PM
take it to a tire shop that recaps truck tires and ask to have the race tire vulcanize on the sidewall. this process melts rubber into the hole in the sidewall and leaves a boot on the inside area the size of dollar bill. you can have them buff down the area so you can either run a tube or tubeless. the repaired area is stronger than the rest of the tire sidewall. I used to do the repairs for years before I retired from the tire business.

thats what i said week or so ago,..itll hold!! seen a many truck tire have this done an run tire with 110lbs of air with loads of 100,000lbs an excess for years,..re cappped an ran bald again...

littlevoice
09-03-2012, 05:01 AM
i think should only use it on the front