PDA

View Full Version : Tracks?? Motors & Gears??

EberlyE4
08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
I just bought a New Modified and I want to be able to run it at different tracks. If you could help by telling me what would be a good motor and gear at the tracks you race that would be fantastic. Thanks so much for your help.

Automech
08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
All depends on what you want to spend for the engine. Are you just starting out? If you are just starting out a 383 would be a good start. We started out with a 383 and it has done us a good job. We had alum heads with a stock 2 bolt block. Pushed out just over 600 hp. As for gears it depends on the size of the track. Are you running a quick change? If so get yourself a bunch of different sets that way you can tune it to the rpm range you want to keep it at. You can always tolk to the drivers a the track you are running. They may not tell you what they are running but they will tell you something close.

If you are looking to build a engine I have a set of heads that we had on the 383. Brodix -11 ported and polished with matching edelbrock intake and jessel shaft rockers (1 season old)

Racer111
08-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Post what tracks your running? I see your from IL..

EberlyE4
08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
No I am not running a quick change, I'm hoping to in the next year. Yes I am just starting out. Car done but Motor.

I will be running at Charleston Speedway, and If Danville or Farmercity opens back up will be running there. But I am hoping to run other tracks as well.

Thanks to you both.

powerslide
08-25-2012, 10:17 AM
i would suggest getting the q/c from the start. If you buy used 9in stuff its going to be 200-300 per 9in probably count on double that if you buy new. Then you have the rearend cost. You will be money ahead to get the q/c to start with. This coming from a "no budget" racer who does it all himself. The ability to be going to one track and it start raining turn around and go the other way to a different track change gears in 2minutes is great.

Racer111
08-25-2012, 11:05 AM
good engine builder would be Mullvain Motorsports in East Peoria,build a 400 engine,gears Fc 648-Charlston 632-danville dont know but maybe 660 or so