PDA

View Full Version : MSD help maybe?

Palehorse
08-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Coming off of turn 2 last night engine (crate 604) turned really really sour missing like crazy lost all power. Looked down temp was 210 and oil psi was 30. I shut it off and coasted to pits. Pulled valve covers at shop can't visually see anything that looks wrong so I tried to crank it and all it wants to do is back fire through the passenger side header and never start. Plenty of fuel going to carb but thats about all I know for now. Any ideas are appreciated. I am leaning toward maybe msd box going bad?

rubbinsracin
08-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Sound like it could be more of a problem than just msd. Have you done a compression check? Checked the oil for any...shall I say foreign objects? We had same problem and a piston came apart.

fast_crew
08-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Along with the compression test, Pull valve covers again and crank over to make sure all the valves are opening and closing properly.

Egoracing
08-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Make sure the distributor clamp did not come loose and then check to see if the rotor or rotor button are not melted.

Palehorse
08-26-2012, 09:19 PM
going to do a compression check tomorrow after work, clamp was still tight on distributor. There was no evidence of any thing foreign in the top of the heads that would indicate a piston coming apart but I guess if its a small detination there may not be much evidence in top of engine. I willpull dist. cap tomorrow too that would be great if thats all it was.

Palehorse
08-27-2012, 07:25 PM
just to update everybody in case you ever have similar issues, it turned out to be the distributor gear stripped. Apparently I'm the only guy that didn't know you have to use a brass gear on a 604

jedclampit
08-27-2012, 08:54 PM
I hope you don't see a camshaft lobe failure on the last lobe, btdt.

Egoracing
08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
just to update everybody in case you ever have similar issues, it turned out to be the distributor gear stripped. Apparently I'm the only guy that didn't know you have to use a brass gear on a 604

A 604 will eat a brass gear, you need a melonized gear NOT brass.

Palehorse
08-28-2012, 07:30 AM
thanks for the heads up ego I'll see about getting one today