PDA

View Full Version : race tire with a puncture

bobdoo
08-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Can it be patched/plugged or get a tube? It is an AR 245/70/15. Are tubes very expensive? Best way to go?

carowner73
08-27-2012, 11:08 PM
silicone applied real thick

merc123
08-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Can it be patched/plugged or get a tube? It is an AR 245/70/15. Are tubes very expensive? Best way to go?

I had one of my Hoosier 1600 tires patched by a Goodyear place. Then I took a bunch of silicon and siliconed all over the patch. Worked for at least one race until the tire got busted by another car. The key with patches is heat. If you can find a mom and pop tire shop that may have a heat press that would work. Put the patch on then put it in the heat press for about 15 minutes. Like brand new!

26-62 racing
08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
We have ran tube in tires for years. Finished many a race where the side wall was cut or the rim so dented the only thing that kept us racing was the tube. We do not use tubes in new tire or tire with out a problem. Saved many a good racing tire that other wise would have to have been junked. Yes tube can be a pain in the rear, but $10 bucks for a tube compared to $125 for a race tire makes sense to me. Tubes can heat up a tire more but everything is a give and take. When installing a tube coat the inside of the tire with baby powder, coat the tube with baby powder use plenty in both. When install the last bead over the rim, start at the valve stem and work up the rim evenly on both sides not to twist the tube in the rim. I question the use of silicone. Silicone is a product for water or weather seal, it does not have the same elasticity as rubber. So when the rubber stretches at a different rate that the silicone the seal is pulled loose. Hope this helps.

Mike Bulpitt
26B owner driver builder

rcstreet1
08-28-2012, 02:07 PM
have have used plugs before and they held.

fast_crew
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
The orange or black sticky plugs, with rubber cement applied, then cut off as close as possible so it doesn't pull out.

bobdoo
08-28-2012, 06:42 PM
If I went with a tube, is there a difference, radial/ bias tubes?

26-62 racing
08-28-2012, 07:09 PM
The tubes we use are made in China, sold under the Firestone name brand, and are labeled for either radial or bias tires, 14 to 15 inch rim size. Regular size valve stem. A plastic bushing is made to fit around the valve stem of the tube and fill the larger opening in the wheel for the large size valve stem.

Mike Bulpitt
26B driver owner

DANNY
08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
I have one that has a hole in the sidewall, Im gonna cut out some rubber and silicone the area and then tube it flip the hole to the inner side since it is a RF should hold I hope :)

carowner73
08-28-2012, 11:46 PM
had a tire last year go thru 5 rims and two cuts in the sidewall, patched with silicone and kept mounting it on new wheels.....it works....have ran tubes in the past, would work fine with the AR tire with stiff sidewall.