PDA

View Full Version : minimum weight vs better %s

rubbinsracin
08-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Would you rather have an extra say 50 to 75lbs to get the rear % up to 54ish or leave it off to get down to the minimum weight of 2250 with a 602 crate?

I have eliminated all weight possible from the car. No lead is currently hanging and we are about 15 lbs light with fuel at where we would be after a feature race. So I'm thinking of putting about 75lbs of lead on the back to get my % from 51 to as high as I can get it.

Dirt Knife
08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm just a Street Stock driver. I know no body.
Depends on the track are you getting passed in the last few laps
like you are scaling your car for???
Or are you getting passed in the begening???
If you can run up front and then fall off the last 1/2 the race then maybe?
Or ar you wicked fast the last half but because you got passed you
can' make it up the last half??
Being fast lap 1-10 might keep you there the last part of the race?
Run light
readjust.
Just my novice opinion. I.E. less $$$$$$$$$$$

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-29-2012, 09:31 PM
With a 602, you likely won't need 54%. Some may disagree, but I have won races with less with more power. I think if you are at 52.5% or so at the end of the race, that would likely be enough.

jedclampit
08-29-2012, 09:48 PM
I agree, with less hp you need your car to be free thru out corner, I'd go lighter total weight. Tail weight generally tightens your car. With low hp wheel spin should not be a factor.

Matt49
08-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree, with less hp you need your car to be free thru out corner, I'd go lighter total weight. Tail weight generally tightens your car. With low hp wheel spin should not be a factor.

I agree with everything except the wheel spin not being a factor with lower HP. 350HP can easily buzz the tires on a slick race track in a 2300 pound late model. But if you're on a tacky track, no, wheel spin is rarely an issue with lower HP motors.

grtforever
08-31-2012, 02:38 AM
With a 602 where you race I would reccomend atleast 58% rear

Graff Spee
09-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I was always taught to run the percents that made the car the fastest. A few pounds saved will not make up for a ill handling race car.

LMracr17x
09-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Percentages aren't as importance as balance. I've seen heavier racecars that were balanced and fast has he11 outrun cars that were lighter but not set-up correctly. With a 602, power is what it is. You should work on getting the car balanced as best you can, then work on the handling. Having huge rear% may help off the corners, but if you can't turn in due to it being too tight you will lose any gain you got from adding the weight.