PDA

View Full Version : Greasy track help/ideas

missile07
08-30-2012, 09:34 AM
What do most of you do on a greasy track as far as small setup changes? During this time of the year the track we run usually has a greasy feel in the heat race. It seems like most all of the cars are spinning on top of the surface. Any simple ideas? I dont want to change alot because the car is very good otherwise.

4 bar/ 4bar on american racer kk704

xxxmod
08-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Use softer tires like the other cheaters.

missile07
08-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Well that would be an option but where we currently race they check the durometer on the tires and they must punch a 50. We are allowed to siph & groove, so are there any special techniques to groove a tire to perform better in greasy situations?

xxxmod
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Sip with 1/2 spacing both directions,and clamp your LR shock in front of the axle in the slim.

missile07
08-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks xxx.... when clamping how do you judge where your clamp needs to be set at ride height? I guess what I am saying is how much shock shaft showing at ride height?

smirk
08-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Unless you go out and get a special shock made don't clamp your left rear shock it don't work. Makes a car absolutely horrible on entry. If you gain any at all coming out of the corner you lose it 10 * getting in.

powerslide
08-31-2012, 10:01 AM
what is wrong with the car when its greasy?
Some guys are tight on entry and others and tight on the gas. In general i would say you need to free the car up on entry. Its easy to make traction with the back tires but tougher to keep from over working the frontend.
A RF brake shut off is a good tool.

missile07
08-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Car could stand to be a little looser going in but turns good in the center. Coming off it tries to tail out some.

This is only during the heat races after the track has had a little rain or put too much water down. Once the track settles in & begins to slick over the car is great.

This is not an every weekend deal but I am looking for simple adjustments or changes I can make at the track in case it occurs again. We have yet to sip any tires so that is going to be our first trial. We are also looking to play with RF camber settings to get the maximum foot print of the tire we can to the ground. Just dont want to make any big swings at the car.

When the track is greasy its not a tacky sling in and stand on it...its more to the effect of jumping the cushion and driving in that mess. It really seems to throw most everyone a curve ball

xxxmod
09-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks xxx.... when clamping how do you judge where your clamp needs to be set at ride height? I guess what I am saying is how much shock shaft showing at ride height?

2 to 3" at ride height,its not that critical since your shock is moving up with axle wrap,
entry is not as good but your usually your more sideways on a track like that anyway.