PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Start 16v battery

restad4r
08-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Bought a new 16v charger and battery at the end of last year, about 5 races into this year the battery wouldn't hold a charge and would be close to dead at the end of the feature. Bought a new Turbo Start battery in april and have about 5 races on it and it's doing the same thing, are these batteries junk? have other people had these problems? I tried calling turbo start about 5 times but they never call back.

Thanks for your help.

Ant

9WRACER
08-31-2012, 05:37 PM
if you use the old style charger it will boil all the water out, had it happen to me. Its sealed but you can get the label off and check the water, bet its dry. I added water and got the newer charger, works fine. They also say you can adjust the charging voltage down onthe old style charger.

restad4r
08-31-2012, 07:16 PM
I have the newer style charger.

pajamie
08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
JUNK!!!... went throught 2 last season alone.. they are good for a few races.. then the driver starts complaining about no power from the motor.. changed fuel filter.. drained tank thinking it was bad gas.. changed carbs.. changed MSD box.. nothing helped.. changed battery.. problem solved.. get yourself a XS Power and forget about it.. You can use the Turbostart charger as long as its the style..

restad4r
08-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for your input, that's not the first time I've heard they are junk, plus their customer service sucks.

Ant

AJGARBER70
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
are you running the standard 16v or the lightweight 16v battery ? i have never had any problems with them and i run the standard weight battery but have been told that the light weight 16v battery's are junk

restad4r
08-31-2012, 11:39 PM
both batteries were the standard weight.

JustAddDirt
09-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Are you putting battery on charge and leaving it charging till the amber light goes solid on charger?
I had one go bad as well, but I was charging it and it seemed like it was taking forever to charge, so I would unplug it.
Well, that was my problem. I was not letting the cells equalize their power load.
Battery charger will do it all 4u, just leave it on overnight, and turn off next morning.

restad4r
09-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes the battery was is always charged fully during the week at the track in between races. I ordered an xs power this week.

Thanks for the replies
Ant

spiderma4
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
i run the xs and had one go bad but hadnt updated charger till i had charge it once and it didnt last very long after that